Author Topic: i386 install with cd's  (Read 9635 times)

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: i386 install with cd's
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 12:35:08 am »
Hi,

I might be way out the window here but why is the internal dhcp IP 172.168.1?   I thought that LMCE defaulted the internal DHCP address to 192.168.80?  Or is that just a typo?

I had occasional problems with my external network 2wire dsl/router.  Sometimes on a bad install my external router got taken over by the MCE box and thought it was on the .80 subnet.  Using an external network PC I couldn't connect to the internet.  You can't get there from here server not found message.  Things looked really weird when I did an ipconfig/ifconfig.  I'd have to shutdown everything/reboot/ixconfig and try things again.

Hope it's something that simple. 

Sorry if I'm wasting your time.

PowrrrPlay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 12:59:00 am »
i did initially use the default of 192.168.80 for the internal mce network.   
really it should not matter as this is just a matter for NATing and pointing to the external network gateway.  The reason why we are installing dhcp and IPTABLES and IPROUTER - so that MCE can turn the box into a router.

as well my lan router eth0/internet gateway is 192.168.1.x  -  private IP's - so  to not get them mixed up i used the other set of private IP's 172.168.x.x for my internal LAN/eth1.

Unless there is an MCE value hard coded in the setup script this should not matter and would defeat the purpose of NATing.   Let me stress again I did test the internal default LAN IP address 192.168.80 and broke the script in the exact same spot.   It is not an addressing issue.

If you understand my logic, i only went to the other set of private IP's (172.168.x.x) just so that it would be easier to diagnose network issues.

Cheers.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 03:50:04 am »
O.K.

I was just hinting at maybe by not using the default address of internal subnet 192.168.80 that MCE crapped out.

I don't know what you've been through.

I'm using the external 192.168.1.X from my DSL Modem/Router with 192.168.80.X internal MCE.

Your logic works.

But turning MCE into a router?  You can do that?  Why do I have all these 2Wire/Linksys/D-Link devices if I don't need them?  Did I miss something?

Sorry if I don't get it!  ID=10T.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 05:27:59 pm »
Just a few pointers that occured to me when giving this a bit more thought:

- A Linux system does not have to be rebooted on installing anything (unlike that other OS we all know and despise), except for a new kernel.
- A reproducable problem doesn't mean by definition that there is a bug.
- The 172.168.1.X range is not reserved for a private network.
- From what I've heard there is a big chance that the "192.168.80.X" network is still hardcoded in several scripts.

But in all honesty, I'd be a bit surprised if this is the actual cause of your problem.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

PowrrrPlay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 05:19:59 pm »
spent the last 48 hours testing RAM and Processors.   although nothing in particular came up I did step down/swap out the processor to 700 MHz and the install completed.   I can only guess as to what in the process could trip the 850 MHZ processor and cause either a crash or reboot as no errors are reported in any system logs - including the bios.  It looks like this issue can be closed as a processor defect.  If I find out anything else I will report it on this thread.  Thank you for spending some grey matter cycles on this problem with me.

Cheers.

daniel.welch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 08:11:10 am »
Just to throw a spanner in the mix, heres what happened to me - weird but it did

I installed kubuntu 710
Everything was cool, then i installed the LinuxMCE part way through the install after restarting the network everything went stupid and nothing was available.

So I started checking network settings and running continual pings to the box during the install.
Wow low and behold the lan drops for a network restart and DOES NOT return  :'(

Yet if i switch to a console, i could restart the lan (but by that time the install had choked fubar)

So to get around it, I had to manually add a 5 second delay to the network script
Yes the kubuntu one, nothing to do with linuxmce whatsoever as far as I can tell, it ws the standard /etc/init.d/networking file

sleep 5
was added to the end of the stop section. :o

After that I installed without issue.  ;D