Author Topic: Anyone using this on board sound chip  (Read 2017 times)


  • Veteran
  • ***
  • Posts: 94
    • View Profile
Anyone using this on board sound chip
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:39:59 pm »
Its an AC 97 VIA 8237 sound chip and I have problems getting smooth sound, Has anyone used this chipset successfully?


  • First post!
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using this on board sound chip
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 02:45:23 am »
I to am having problems with this same onboard chipset. I have found that music and movies using xine at the kde desk top work with the media center stopped. But when I start the media center it cuts out again. A couple times after returning to the media center it did work though, but is very inconsistent. I have tried all 3 UIs with the same issue. For some reason My motherboard won't disable the onboard sound and every sound card I have tried (5 altogether including SB Live 5.1) give some error -16 when the driver is loaded. If only I could figure out what in the media center is causing the issue, then I would just disable it. I have messed with the sound setup in the KDE desktop and set it to the greatest buffer and max priority, but still has the issue. I have played with the alsamixer with no results either. I think I am going to have to either kill one process at a time, or get a different motherboard( Jetway J7F2WE-1G2 Mini-ITX)

I have been beating my brains out on this for about 2 weeks now and hope someone has a fix....

8/5/08 update
Well I have the sound working across the board with this MD. First off to get it to quit cutting out when playing standard movies and music, I went into the LMCE admin page and set the sound to Standard Sound Card and Manual Settings for Audio Settings. There wasn't any actual way that I could see to set anything manual, I suppose it goes off whatever KDE was using. For TV playback in Myth, I went into the settings for that and set the settings (ESC when watching TV, select Utilities/Setup, select Setup, select General) for Audio output device to /dev/dsp about 3 pages in.  Works like a charm on my system, hope this works for you and anybody else that is having problems getting this working.....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:10:31 am by BigGuns »