Author Topic: Non network boot (HDD) Media Director?  (Read 6118 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Non network boot (HDD) Media Director?
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:21:04 am »
I have a Jetway J9F2-Extreme Core Duo Mainboard which I intend to use as a media director.

Problem is .... I can't boot using PXE as it has two NICs and no option in the bios to disable them, only a very restricted boot loader. So I see the problem described in http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3521.0 (Basically, It is switching NICs during the PXE boot). I can verify this because I have manually changed the network cable between the two ports and proceeded further into the network install.

I want to try to install to the hard disk but I can't find any documentation how to do this. If I install from the DVD I guess I will be creating a new core/MD.

So. Question is...
Is it possible to do a HDD install for a media director and have it talk to my existing core? If so, guidance would be appreciated.

Further info:
I have successfully installed a pxe installed network MD on my laptop with no problems.
I am using one NIC in my core which runs DHCP and the default gateway is my ADSL router on the same network.
NIC boot loader has a ROM disable function for each NIC which does not disable the NIC, just the pxe option.
I would still prefer a network boot but am out of ideas.
I still love LinuxMCE.

Barney

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Non network boot (HDD) Media Director?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:33:30 pm »
I'm not sure if it still works but installing a diskless media director is a feature of the CD installer.

Alternatively you could try the oposite of http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Unrecognized_NIC and take the driver for one of the cards out if they aren't both the same chipset.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:33:02 am »
Thanks zaerc.

Both the same chipset unfortunately. I will download the cd installer and try that.
 :)

trossman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:11:09 am »
Is there a cd installation for MD?  I ran through both dvd and cd installs more times than I'd like to admit - but I did not see any options for a MD.  Did I misunderstand you?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:04:54 am »
The CD installer wil install a disked MD when it detects that it's connected to the core's internal network.
-- Anonymous

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:00:35 pm »
OK. Tried Zaerc's suggestion and installed via CDs.

Kubuntu install went fine. Downloaded ISOs for 710 rc2 i386 version of linuxmce. Extracted the mce-installer and ran it. The setup detected the core and offered to setup a media director controlled by the core. It then appeared to run the diskless setup (which I was trying to avoid).

I googled for help and found this in the wiki:-
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/KnownIssues_0710_Beta4

Specifically:-
"Support disked MD was dropped completely in 0710"

Ouch! So I am left with a dual gigabit LAN m/board which makes a very attractive paperweight.

I will approach the manufacturers and request an enhanced LAN boot loader which actually disables the chip. Other than that maybe a soldering iron through the middle of one of the chips?

Thanks for the contributions guys! Might just have to take this one on the chin (goodbye £135 GBP).

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]: Non network boot (HDD) Media Director?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:25:55 am »
UPDATE:
Found an option in the bios to enable/disable pci-e connections. This allowed me to disable the second NIC. Hurray!!!!!!!!

Now booting via PXE and seems to have installed. Now got a weird looping graphics problem when AV wizard is trying to start (cannot connect to x server) but that's another thread!

Barney

daniel.welch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:47:40 am »

So that is still true for right now? Damn, I wanted a disked MD  :'(

If so, anyone have an ETA for when it will be available

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 05:45:26 am »
I know this thread is a bit old, but boy, am I with you...

I understand that - and why - they did discontinue support for disked MD's, but dammit, now that I finally have everything else working, I was going to try to use a disked MD setup for my notebook (who wants to reboot all the time??)...

I might just have to step my whole setup back to 0704, set it all up again, and hope that the upgrade goes well...

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 09:54:52 am »
I'm pretty sure that Zaerc was right when he said the CD install has an option for a disked MD.  Towards the beginning of the install process, it asks if you want to install the whole shebang or just media playback.  I assume this is what you want.

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 05:49:13 pm »
This is the way that it used to go.  However, the newer install CD's did not present this option the last time I attempted it.  That has been a few months ago, and they may have changed the CD images to support this, but I've not noticed any change in the image name...

I may, now that you've brought this back to forefront of my mind, attempt it again.  It sure would be nice to have this working...

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:27:33 am »
The CD install definitely tries to set up a diskless MD.  I was a bit frustrated because it takes a while to install kubuntu and then when you get to the LMCE install, you find that you get the same result as just PXE booting.  However, there might be one other alternative.  Perhaps, you could unplug the core and feed regular internet to the future MD.  Then, go through the install process with the CDs and if I'm not mistaken, there is a question about installing either core software or just MD software.  I cannot remember if I saw that message in 7.10 or 7.04.  It might be a wild goose chase, but you should try installing when the core is not present on the network and see what options you have.  I will test this and post the results.  I'm not holding my breath.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 10:01:25 am »

I understand that - and why - they did discontinue support for disked MD's, but dammit, now that I finally have everything else working, I was going to try to use a disked MD setup for my notebook (who wants to reboot all the time??)...

I might just have to step my whole setup back to 0704, set it all up again, and hope that the upgrade goes well...

Yeah standalone disked MD's was removed from the 0710 release due to many instability problems. It may make a reappearance after 0810 is released though... but thats not 100%

...dont ask me when LinuxMCE-0810 will be released... I dont know. Download the alpha's and help get it ready then that date might be sooner than it would be otherwise ;-)

Happy New Year

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 08:01:23 pm »

Yeah standalone disked MD's was removed from the 0710 release due to many instability problems. It may make a reappearance after 0810 is released though... but thats not 100%

...dont ask me when LinuxMCE-0810 will be released... I dont know. Download the alpha's and help get it ready then that date might be sooner than it would be otherwise ;-)

Happy New Year

Andrew
Any idea what needs to be fixed to enable this again? 
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 06:48:26 pm »

Happy New Year

Andrew
Any idea what needs to be fixed to enable this again? 

Hi Zaerc,

I think Uplink would have a good handle on whats needed ;-)

Happy New Year!

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk