Author Topic: Install problem, network modules not available  (Read 3691 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Install problem, network modules not available
« on: December 20, 2005, 05:00:25 am »
I am having trouble getting my network adapters to work on install.  I will be running dual connections, one internal and one external.  I have tried installing with both, also tried on-board only, tried PCI card only (on-board disabled).  I have tried static and DHCP with each configuration.  The hardware is all working properly, in the last three days I have installed Mandriva and Knoppmyth and I have also booted up with Knoppix, all successfully configured with network access.  As a last attempt I just booted up Sarge and found that the necessary modules are not available, which surprised me as my Linksys card with the Tulip module has worked for every install I have done for the past three years, many different versions of Linux.  Also found that the via-rhine (Rhine II) was not available, I was sure that I saw this as supported in one of your postings.  Is there any other way to get these modules loaded on boot or load them later?  I have tried the option that says to configure network later but then I am never asked again if I want to configure the network, regardless of how long I stare at the screen, ever after sleeping and checking the next morning (not at my PC;-)

Thanks,

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Install problem, network modules not available
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 03:57:30 pm »
I installed a ATI+Uli+Tulip based motherboard yesterday and had some similar problems. The installer wasn't loading the sata_uli and tulip drivers, but if I went to the 2nd console and ran "modprobe sata_uli sd_mod tulip" it continued fine. The initrd for the normal boot needed some manual touching (I installed with software RAID 1) to load the sata_uli and sd_mod modules early to boot.

In short, you may need to do some manual ops, because I can't fix these too easily for now.

As for the via-rhine problem, we have one of those onboard here and it works just fine...