Author Topic: Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U installation notes for a diskless MD.  (Read 3980 times)

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U installation notes for a diskless MD.

This is a fresh install of a diskless MD connected to a Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U.

No remotes or other optional equipment is involved.  This is just getting the TV going.

The LC-46D64U has Antenna/Cable in, USB terminal-service, RS232C terminal, 7 inputs (2 component, 2 composite and 3 HDMI) plus 1080p native resolution.

The diskless MD is connected between the COM1 port and the Sharp RS232 port.

The diskless MD is using a DVI/HDMI adapter with a HDMI cable connected to input 6 of the TV.

I am presently using analog sound via mobo AC 97 to the analog port on input 6.  This is the only input of the HDMI ports that has the mixed HDMI/Analog input.

I hope to find a compliant SPDIF cable to hook from the mobo SPDIF to my MSI NX8400GS card. A cable was not included in the kit.

Note: How to setup BIOS PXE network booting is beyound the scope of this document.

The diskless MD is set to network boot.

Start the diskless MD.

On my system on the first attempt I am announced to the router but the "Diskless setup failed" message is generated. 

My Core system runs i386 software.  My diskless MD is architecture amd64. 

On the core system open admin website and select Devices/Media Director. 

Under the Device column you'll see the architecture field set to amd64. 

Edit this to i386 and on the bottom of the page click the update button.

Restart the diskless MD.

Wait for Diskless_Setup.sh to complete.  The cursor blinks for about 5 minutes before setup continues and the MD restarts. 

When the files are downloaded and the configuration is complete the system will beep. 

In my case since I am using the DVI/HDMI port my screen goes blank.  If I was using the default VGA port the setup AVWizard would appear. 

Inorder to use the DVI/HDMI port after the system beeps I press the 1 key on the keyboard.  You'll hear a beep and the AVWizard appears.

The AVWizard will be running in 640x480 mode not 1080p native resolution.

Setup the AVWizard (my case DVI,1080p,60hz,etc).

When the AVWizard is completed the system restarts.

The MD Launch Manager will run and the Setup Wizard will start, albeit in 640x480.

Go thru the Setup Wizard.  When it comes to setting up the LCxxD64U/LCxxD7u only 5 inputs are presented.  There are a total of 7 and I'm using #6. 

At this point I select input 5 and complete the Setup Wizard. 

I then reload the router from the Core MCE Launch Manager and when completed I reload the router on the MD (it usually asks to be loaded about 3 times) until the MD screen comes up.

On the Core MCE Launch Manager open the admin website and under the Wizard/Devices select General Serial Devices. 

Under Action select the Advanced button.  Select View for the Acquos LCxxD64U/LCxxD7u #1856. 

In the Device Template section select Edit Audio/Video Properties.  This pulls up the Edit IR codes. 

There is a line named Inputs Discrete: Input1, etc.  Select [change/explain]. 

Scroll down thru the field until you see Input6 and Input7.  Check their boxes.  At the bottom of the page select Save. 

Now scroll down to the Inputs section on the Edit IR codes page and you'll see at the top of the section a line saying "input commands not implemented Input6, Input7 (Click to add)".

At this point I highlight the <$"'|AVD5  \r"$> in the field of Input 5 and copy [CTRL]C the code.

The click to add Input 6.  In the popup box paste the code [CTRL]V edit 5 to 6 and the select Add Code. 

Allow the screen to refresh and do the same for input 7.  Click the Update button. 

Close your windows and go back to the LMCE Launch Manager and Reload router. 

When the router is finished loading go back to the MD.  Run the Setup Wizard. 

When asked to setup the Media Director select "No that is not the correct TV". 

Go thru selecting SHARP as the manufacture, the LCxxD64U/LCxxD7u as the model, Com1 as the interface and Input6.  Finish the Setup Wizard.

Now we need to get the TV to run in native resolution.

On the Core at the MCE Launch Manager screen press [CTRL][ALT]+F1.  Hit the enter button to get your dcerouter login prompt.  Log into the system.

We need to edit the xorg.conf file for the MD. Enter (no quotes) "cd /usr/pluto/diskless/XX/etc/X11"  (where XX is the number of your MD-for me it's 22).

Enter "ls" to see your directory listing.

Enter "sudo nano xorg.conf".

Supply your password.

In the xorg.conf file scroll down to Section "Device" and change Option "UseEDID" "false" to "true".  Change Section "Screen" Option "UseEDID" to "true" as well.

To exit [CTL]X.  Y to save.  Enter to write file name to xorg.conf.

Press [CTRL][ALT]+F7 to return to the MCE Launch Manger.  Select Reload router.

When finished restart the diskless MD.

We are now 1080p native resolution.

Hope this helps someone. :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:36:53 pm by pigdog »

asplodzor

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U installation notes for a diskless MD.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:30:22 pm »
Not applicable to me quite yet, but I'm thinking about an Aquos. Thank you.  :)