Author Topic: file size limit exceeded copying to external usb drive  (Read 7318 times)

Randykc

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
file size limit exceeded copying to external usb drive
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:19:04 pm »
I just purchased an external 500Gb usb drive this weekend and hooked it up to my LMCE core.  It successfully detected it and I told it to use the LMCE file system.  I then ripped a dvd to the new drive successfully (public area).  Couple of questions...

1) I tried to move some movies from the public core area to the public area on the new external drive to free up some drive space. The movie was 4.4Gb and when the copy almost completed, I received that the file size limit had been exceeded and it aborted. The limit it appeared to reach was 4.2Gb (at least that was the size of the file when I did an ls -alF).  Does anyone know where this file size limit would be set and why would my internal drive not have the same limit?

2)  I can transfer files from my windows machines to the internal core drive using the file manager.  I seem to get a permissions error when I try to copy to the new external usb drive.  Can this be done?

gazzzman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: file size limit exceeded copying to external usb drive
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:28:14 pm »
you don't have your usb drive formatted fat32 do you?
that would explain the file size issues..
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version 3.1
GCC@GE@GIT@GO dpu S-: a+ C+++ L++ E-- W+++ N+ o+++ w-- O M+ PS+++ PE-- Y++
PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv b+ DI++ D---- G e++* h*++ r+++ Y++++
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Randykc

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:07:46 am »
Don't think so. I just bought it, plugged it into the core, and it showed up.  The admin shows the filesystem as cfis for the new drive.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:15:24 am »
Don't think so. I just bought it, plugged it into the core, and it showed up.  The admin shows the filesystem as cfis for the new drive.

Its more than likely that it was formatted fat32... format it ext3 and I'm sure it will be fine.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:32:59 am »
don't confuse telling LMCE to use the LMCE folder structure with anything to do with the filesystem. All that question does is tell LMCE how you want to use the drive, and to create a number of folders if they don't already exist - it does not format the drive and therefore has nothing to do with the filesystem being used. If this drive is new and you haven't specifically formatted it to a Linux filesystem type then almost certainly it is just a Windows filesystem like the other guys suggested, probably FAT32 which does have much lower maximum file sizes. If it was already formatted this way the LMCE will just use what you have given it....

Randykc

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:57:56 pm »
Thanks guys.  That is in fact what I did.  I was thinking that if linux detected the drive that it would prep it automatically.  Especially when it was copying files <4.2Gb.  I formatted the drive and it works like I would expect.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:51:34 am »
Thanks guys.  That is in fact what I did.  I was thinking that if linux detected the drive that it would prep it automatically.  Especially when it was copying files <4.2Gb.  I formatted the drive and it works like I would expect.
The trouble with prepping drives automaticly is that there might be data on the drive that you would actually like to keep... like your media for instance.  I can still vividly remember the day that somebody else's windowsCE decided to automaticly "prep" my ext2 formatted pcmcia HD, took me days to get my files back.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous