Author Topic: USB-UIRT learns but wont transmit  (Read 6080 times)

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
USB-UIRT learns but wont transmit
« on: May 25, 2008, 02:51:18 pm »
This was working, but now with 0710 RC2 I can learn all day long and not transmit with or without a dongle.

I tried learning with irhelper.exe in windows to simplify things and pasted those pronto codes in linuxmce admin, but it will not transmit with lmce.

What the fix?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: USB-UIRT learns but wont transmit
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:38:49 pm »
This was working, but now with 0710 RC2 I can learn all day long and not transmit with or without a dongle.

I tried learning with irhelper.exe in windows to simplify things and pasted those pronto codes in linuxmce admin, but it will not transmit with lmce.

What the fix?

Hmmm... if your sure its broken please Mantis it and set a high priority when you do. Thanks

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:56:54 pm »
Can anyone confirm this? I have tried it on two different installs. There is one correction as to the fact it does transmit (light on usb-uirt) but it does not transmit the correct code or if any code at all.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 06:12:10 pm »
Can anyone confirm this? I have tried it on two different installs. There is one correction as to the fact it does transmit (light on usb-uirt) but it does not transmit the correct code or if any code at all.

Well to be sure this gets picked up I would Mantis the problem and then it should get picked up tomorrow by the Dev team.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 06:37:27 pm »
From the known issues page....Makes me feel a little dumb, but I have tried 2 dongles and they are not working either.

KnownIssues 0710
From LinuxMCE wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

In the i386 version USB-UIRT does not transmit on the built in IR Transmitter. The workaround is to use an IR dongle. The USB-UIRT developer has been informed of the issue and given videos showing the problem. We will do an update when we have a fix.

Our OpenSSH implementation is generating weak SSH keys. This is not a problem in the default install since we firewall ssh. But we are working on an update that will install a fixed version of OpenSSH. A workaround is to generate your ssh key on an unaffected machine and transfer it to LinuxMCE before opening the ssh port on your firewall. Note: All unpatched ubuntu and debian releases from the last two years are exhibit the weak key problem, so make sure any such machine is updated before you generate a new key.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 07:14:51 pm »
Can someone explain what it meant by using an 'IR dongle?'  Does it mean using a completely separate IR device?

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 07:23:36 pm »
One thing that made it hard to confirm the real problem was that the people experiencing problems were also have difficulty with programming. This was due to two issues which developers may have experienced, but if so probably quickly overcame them because of how they think about problems. The first is that to program the codes you must have fresh batteries in the remote control. If you don't, it may still pick up some IR codes but the learned codes will have errors. The other problem is with alignment of the remote with respect to the detector. If you hold the remote too far from the detector you will get the same problem weak batteries give you, and if you hold it too close you will also get errors due to overblasting. A good distance is 30 to 60 cm from the USB-UIRT, and some people find that holding the remote slightly above or below the front line of the USB-UIRT helps.

Once the codes are learned the USB-UIRT, and other IR detectors, are not as finicky. The way IR remotes and LinuxMCE increase reliability is by resending the codes 3 or 4 times so that at least one of them gets through. Which is why a remote with weak batteries still work normally. But if only one out of 3 or 4 codes is good during learning, it is difficult to determine which is the correct one.

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 05:40:52 am »
PeteK... A dongle is just a little ir transmitter on the end of a wire that can be plugged into the usb-uirt and stuck to the front of an a/v device. The usb-uirt has a built in transmitter as well, so you could just have it face the components, but dongles work better plus you can splice and have 4 or 5 of them all attached to the front of different components and responding to different codes. So you could control all of them with 1 usb-uirt.

danielk... I understand your concern about getting the codes learned properly, with earlier releases I had problems figuring out the sweet spot as well (new batteries, proper lighting in the room, proper distance, proper key press, etc.)

I can get the device to function as required with irhelper.exe in windows. In fact I programmed up, down, left, right 0-9 and enter. With one failure...enter so I had to do it a second time.

For some reason I cannot get 0710RC2 to control anything, I just aint a coder, I'm torrenting 0710RC1 right now, because I think that one works. I just want to keep on testing.

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 04:15:05 pm »
RC1 works just as exspected.RC2 is just broke.
What are the advantages of using RC2? According to the known bugs list RC1 has none so that tells me that nothing was fixed in RC2? Plus I can't seem to find a change log and RX2 is broke, Weird. 

pcbastard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 07:15:04 pm »
I am using a USB-UIRT with RC2 that is actually working.  I was actually shocked.
I am using it with a Samsung 40" tv (LN-T4069F).  When I installed RC2 (a fresh install), I was lazy and chose 1 of the 2 Samsung choices and was totally surprised when I was able to change the volume on the TV.  After that, I learned all the commands and every single command now works. 

In the past, I had issues with my Sony equipment and solved that with a GC-100 and directly connected the GC's outputs to the Sony equipment slink ports.

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:41 am »
pcbasterd? what type of hardware are you using? amd64 I386? How did you install lmce with the cd's or the dvd?

I'm using dvd install I386.

pcbastard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 07:28:42 am »
Radmofo,
I used the DVD install for i386.  I have an i386 core and an i386 MD.  It is the MD that is working with the USB-UIRT. 

The MD is using an XFX GeForce motherboard (nForce 630i chipset, 7150 Geforce graphics).
I am also using an infrared dongle that came with my Global Cache GC-100, but I don't think that matters. 

In order to get a proper code learned, I had to place the remote about 6 inches away from the UIRT.  It only took 1 or 2 try's for each of the command to be learned.  I was so surprised when everything worked since I had such a hard time with earlier LMCE versions and my Sony TV and receiver.  My feeling is that some remotes use different carrier frequencies, etc., that the UIRT cannot understand.  Back to when I was trying to get my Sony stuff to work with the UIRT, I could never get a single learned command to work.  I had to instead to go to a website that listed all Sony codes and copy and paste those codes to get it to work.

I hope this helps you.
I wish I knew what I did that made mine work properly. 

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 04:27:35 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, but I just cant get 0710RC2 to control anything on the core, I guess I could try a MD and report back. RC1 works fine though.

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 03:05:55 pm »