Author Topic: Install on S-ATA issue  (Read 4217 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Install on S-ATA issue
« on: December 17, 2005, 03:58:01 am »
I have attempted to install 2.0.0.34 on my S-ATA drive with no success, it hangs when triying to load via_sata vt6420.   I have tried the other suggestions from the forum about changing my settings in BIOS but I only have two options; sata=enable or sata=disable.  I have had this same problem on this system when installing Mandriva 2006 but found that the boot option "linux noapic" solves the problem.  I don't see this boot option on Pluto but tried it anyway, do difference.  Does anyone know if this boot option is available and if so how to specify it?  If not what would it take to get it in, looks like S-ATA causes problems for lots of folks.

Thanks,
Steve

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Install on S-ATA issue
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:23:50 am »
Quote from: "scsever"
I have attempted to install 2.0.0.34 on my S-ATA drive with no success, it hangs when triying to load via_sata vt6420.   I have tried the other suggestions from the forum about changing my settings in BIOS but I only have two options; sata=enable or sata=disable.  I have had this same problem on this system when installing Mandriva 2006 but found that the boot option "linux noapic" solves the problem.  I don't see this boot option on Pluto but tried it anyway, do difference.  Does anyone know if this boot option is available and if so how to specify it?  If not what would it take to get it in, looks like S-ATA causes problems for lots of folks.

Try typing "linux26 noapic" at the CD boot screen and see if that solves anything.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Install on S-ATA issue
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 07:15:23 pm »
Actually I tried "linux26 noapic" not "linux noapic" as I stated previously and also tried expert.  That did not help, still quit at loading scsi.  I noticed that there is a lot of trouble with S-ATA on Debian from searching the web so thanks to the temptation of a $90 rebate yesterday I now own a new 200GB IDE drive.
Now my problem is getting networking active.  That will be a different post.

Thanks,

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Install on S-ATA issue
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 06:38:57 pm »
Hello Pluto geeks',

First, let me wish you all an happy new year and lot of exciting announcements in the Pluto world.

I've read a lot about the S-ATA install problem lately, but I was not able to find any consistent solution yet.

Does anyone can confirm if it's actually possible to install kickstart cd 2.0.0.34 on a pc only equiped with S-ATA drive ?

I currently have 3 Raid chipset, SIL 3112A, SIL 3114 and NFORCE4, but I've only tried with my old motherboard with the 3112A one

Any feedback from users with such config will be nice.

Cheers
Jim

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Install on S-ATA issue
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 11:19:49 am »
Happy newyear to all :)

I can happily confirm that my s-ata works perfectly.
To my supprise, it work the first time I tried.

I went from trying Windows XP MCE with S-ata driver disk,
to installing pluto without. Perfect combination.

Hope this helps someone :)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Install on S-ATA issue
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:35:40 pm »
Hello nomore,

If you don't mind, can you please give us detail on your hardware pluto core config, particularly the motherboard, chipset, raid controler and HD model and number.

Thanks
Jim