Author Topic: DCEROUTER LOGIN:  (Read 24316 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
DCEROUTER LOGIN:
« on: February 06, 2005, 11:15:12 am »
I successfully generated a Kick-Start CD and have activated the software (device# and activation code).
I have been asked to eject the installation CD, which I did and rebooted the system.
After (auto) configuring the components I have to enter the
DCEROUTER LOGIN:
And PASSWORD
What login and password do I need to enter?
I have tried all logical combinations

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
DCEROUTER LOGIN:
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 01:40:07 pm »
I assume from this that you specified a stand-alone Core, and not a hybrid on the installation wizard.  The "hybrid" software includes the media director user interface and will bootup into a graphical interface, and you connect it to your TV.  A stand-alone Core is usually put in a rack somewhere out of the way and nobody really does anything with it--it just takes care of itself.  That's why there is no user interface, and when you boot it up, all it does is take to a login prompt for a Linux console.  You don't actually need to login--all the services and processes are running automatically and  you can go ahead and start plugging in your media directors, orbiters and other devices that will connect to the Core.  You can also access the pluto-admin web site that is being hosted on the Core to setup your preferences.  You can do that from any computer on the network that has a web browser.  Just bring up the browser and go to http://ipaddress_of_core/pluto-admin.

If you want to login, the username will be 'root', and the password is whatever password you specified during the installation process for the 'root' password.  The Kick-Start CD will have asked you for root password when it was configuring the system.

Once you're logged in, you will see a Linux console--like a DOS prompt.  If you're a Linux user, you can do anything you want here, and use it like a regular Linux pc.  If you're not a Linux user, here are a few useful commands:

To see a list of all the Pluto devices running on the Core, type:
screen -ls

to see all the logs for everything, type:
cd /var/log/pluto

to change to the correct directory, and then type:
ls

which is like DIR in DOS (it lists all the log files).  You will see log files for DCERouter (the DCERouter.newlog is the current one), and the same for all the other Pluto devices running.

To view the contents of a log file type:
less -R [filename]

If you want to watch the log and see what's happening, type:
tail -f [filename]

then press Ctrl+c to stop watching the log.  Since these are still debug versions, the logging is very verbose and you will see absolutely everything being loged--every thread on every device, every mutex, every socket, etc.

Assuming that everything is running, though, you don't really to do any of that and you don't need to touch the Linux console if you're not comfortable with it.  Just fill out the wizard pages on the pluto-admin site and plug-in your media directors.  If you have Bluetooth phones you want to use, setup your media directors first before turning on the Bluetooth service on your phone.  When a new phone is detected, all the media directors and Orbiters will switch and show you a screen with the ID of the phone and ask if you want to install the software on there.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New Hybrid
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 08:00:15 am »
Nice explanation. I could not find anywhere in the documentation an intro on what will you see after installation.

I did a Hybrid installation and notice that console#2 seems to be a console prompt to Linux. In addition some other console (7?( has the orbiter. Console 1 has the installation wizard asking username questions, etc. Will the console 1 always show these config questions? Is there anything else that I should know in addition to these three modes?

Ither thing that happens each time that I boot is that I get a progress bar in a empty graphical application that mentions Xine and says something related to searching for devices (cannot see now as I have dual boot and now I'm in windows). This screens always shows an error about finding these devices before opening the orbiter screen. What is this?

Wher can I find more info about the initial environment?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
DCEROUTER LOGIN:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 02:43:41 pm »
that's not a bug, those messages are in yellow, ... warnings.