Author Topic: Adding a second HDD  (Read 4905 times)

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Adding a second HDD
« on: May 21, 2008, 04:08:35 pm »
Hey All,

Just after some advice on adding a second 500GB SATA drive. Have installed it and was about to format but didn't know if I should pay some special attention to the partition setup for LMCE? Is there a best practice to integrate most efficiently or doesn't it really matter for the second drive?

Many Thanks,
WR.

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a second HDD
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:31:17 pm »
if it is simply media storage, it shouldn't make any difference at all.  it would probably be easiest to leave it as one large partition...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:34:43 pm by geoffrey »
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:49:57 pm »
Thanks geoffrey - this is all it's for...

Cheers,
Adriel.

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:47:24 am »
What is the best way to add second/third HDD.  I first installed on one drive using DVD.

Then I booted it up and found everything working fine and dandy.

Now I have formatted another drive on another machine as EXT3 and filled it up with image of the DVD I own.

Now do I attach that to a IDE port and modify /etc/fstab or is there a more recommended method?

Anil
Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:59:07 am »
What is the best way to add second/third HDD.  I first installed on one drive using DVD.

Now I have formatted another drive on another machine as EXT3 and filled it up with image of the DVD I own.

Now do I attach that to a IDE port and modify /etc/fstab or is there a more recommended method?

Anil
Pretty much, except for the "modify /etc/fstab" part.  If the drive is partitioned and formatted (but not mounted) lmce will find it sooner or later and ask you a few questions, normally that's all that needs to be done.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 12:44:22 am »

Pretty much, except for the "modify /etc/fstab" part.  If the drive is partitioned and formatted (but not mounted) lmce will find it sooner or later and ask you a few questions, normally that's all that needs to be done.

Do you see any problem in using a combination. Like one HDD being a subdirectory mounted under public>data>videos>family

and the second one left unmounted (this one has tagged media unlike the family directory).

Greatly appreciate your help.

Best Regards
Anil
Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:29:02 am »

Anil

Zarec
If I wanted to swap my second drive with a bigger drive, how can I do that. I recall that the second drive wasn't added in the FSTAB.
What kind of metadata/data migration will this involve? Do you have any write up or a pointer?
Anil

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:43:38 pm »
do not EVER manually mount hard drives in this system. put it in, format it, wait for lmce to detect it, tell it to use lmce dir structure, then move the files from the old drive to the new drive. can use a windows machine on the internal network to do this if you dont know linux command line that well.