Author Topic: SloYerRoll install thread  (Read 3574 times)

SloYerRoll

• View Profile
SloYerRoll install thread
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:25:02 pm »
Hey all,

I hope this thread is appropriate. I've seen many posts spread out over the forums and figured that having one thread to address this install as it starts to take off would make more sense.

::MODS::
Feel free to nuke and PM me if you think creating separate threads for each install question is more appropriate.

What I'm going to do w/ this build:
1. Create a file server and media center. The file server is going to be primarily utilized in my own house via wireless transmitter. *I use multiple laptops depending on my needs and availability and would like a central file repository to access files so I know I'm using the most current version. I will want to be able to SSH into the file server so I can grab files when I'm working remotely.
2. A basic Media server that will only stream movies I rip onto the HD and watching/ripping the occasional TV show.

So onto my first question:
I was reading the, "Why I left MCE" thread and saw danielk say that it was a good choice to install Kubuntu as the base OS. http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4671.msg27313#msg27313

Isn't the MCE distro just a different flavor of linux? Or is there a better OS better suited for my needs?

I look forward to your help and will journal all the steps I took so I can add to the MCE KB.

Cheers,
-Jon

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: SloYerRoll install thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:39:59 pm »
he didnt say it was a good idea to install kubuntu as a base. he said paul, who started linuxmce, made a good choice using kubuntu as the distribution that linuxmce would run on. you dont have another choice to just go grab and run LMCE on.

are you just trying to install linuxmce and make it a file server too?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

SloYerRoll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:51:07 am »
are you just trying to install linuxmce and make it a file server too?
Yes.

For the first few months though, I'm going to use it exclusively as a file sever until I arrange all my media to a universal format, metadata, etc.

After that's complete, I'll transfer all my media over and it will serve as a lightweight file server and media center.

Still building the machine now. But am always eager to links of wisdom or comments.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 02:53:26 am by SloYerRoll »

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:15:03 pm »
1. Create a file server and media center. The file server is going to be primarily utilized in my own house via wireless transmitter. *I use multiple laptops depending on my needs and availability and would like a central file repository to access files so I know I'm using the most current version. I will want to be able to SSH into the file server so I can grab files when I'm working remotely.
If you want to use the MediaCenter part over wireless, LinuxMCE will not fit your need.
You will not get the LinuxMCE GUI over wireless.
SSH and file server will work fine.

2. A basic Media server that will only stream movies I rip onto the HD and watching/ripping the occasional TV show.
Streaming the movies from a file share will work fine with LinuxMCE.

Isn't the MCE distro just a different flavor of linux? Or is there a better OS better suited for my needs?
The LinuxMCE distro is a specialized version of Kubuntu and yes, that makes it a different flavour of linux.

If you are not after all the things that LinuxMCE can provide in form of "Full house integration.", there is a OS that is better suited to the needs I have read here...

It does sound like Mythbuntu 8.04 is a better fit for you.
1. It provides a media server for pictures, movies, music and TV.
2. You can use SSH and let it be your file server.
3. You can install MythTV clients on your laptops that communicate with the server over wireless.
4. It can record TV shows, or stream live TV to a MythTV Client.

SloYerRoll

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 07:14:43 am »
Thanks for the knowledge cirion. Better to find out now than when I've already installed the OS and migrated files over etc..

I'll go check out Mythbuntu  ;D

perspectoff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:55:06 am »
"If you want to use the MediaCenter part over wireless, LinuxMCE will not fit your need.
You will not get the LinuxMCE GUI over wireless."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not? Netboot might not be very easy to set up over wireless, but certainly the Orbiters work wirelessly, as does access to the Admin pages.

Media streaming can be done over a Gigabit wireless router (like the Netgear Wireless-N Gigabit router), as long as you're not drying your poodle in the microwave (which might cause interference).

A Media Director may have to boot up from a hard drive partition with LinuxMCE (instead of a netboot), but that's not a very high price to pay (and may actually be faster than a netboot.)

No, I think a completely wireless system is quite possible, if you pay attention to the caveats.

See http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Wireless_Networking
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:19:57 am by perspectoff »