Author Topic: ASUS M3A78-EM and IDE drives  (Read 3555 times)

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
ASUS M3A78-EM and IDE drives
« on: April 12, 2009, 04:59:58 am »
Good Morning

Well, silly me. :-[  I have 2 old hard drives waiting to be used, and my choice of an old CD-ROM drive or a DVD-RW drive.  Unfortunately, none of them have SATA connectors, which seem to be required by the ECS mobo I was considering (according to the wiki).  As a second choice, the ASUS M3A78-EM mobo is well documented here (thanks to Sethj), requiring only a separate nVidia card to achieve UI2 with alpha.  I know the ASUS board has a single IDE connection, so my question for the masses is this:

Does anybody know if the ASUS board will function with IDE-connected hdd & optical drive?

To my way of thinking, I'd rather get the ASUS board and have to pick up a video card, than get the ECS board and have to pick up a SATA hard drive & a SATA optical drive.

Thanks
brake16
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: ASUS M3A78-EM and IDE drives
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:59:57 pm »
That's exactly how I have my core hooked up- hdd and dvd-rw drive connected on a single IDE cable on the M3A78-EM. 

I use a nvidia 8500 gt to drive my video- get UI2 with overlay and am powering a 52" rear projection tv over dvi...

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 11:18:47 pm »
Sweet!  Thanks jimmejames.

brake16
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

Craptastic

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:31:04 am »
Although not on my Linux box, I have used an IDE to SATA adapter to salvage some legacy storage. Works perfectly fine. If you shop around you can get one cheap.

Craptastic