Author Topic: any word on the usbuirt transmit bug?  (Read 4149 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
any word on the usbuirt transmit bug?
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:30:28 pm »
As I understand it there is a bug in the 710/i386 version of USBUIRT that causes it not to be able to transmit without an external dongle/transmitter.  Any word on the fix for this?  I don't know if it's LMCE specific or just waiting for an external app/library fix.  I know I can always buy the external transmitter, but pre-upgrade the internal transmitter worked just fine and I'd rather not buy extra hardware and have extra wires because of a software bug that may be fixed already or very soon.

edit:  if the bug isn't fixed and a fix isn't expected soon I'll just buy one.  I think the xantech 286 is the recommended one, but in doing a quick search I see both a 286-M and a 286-00.  I can't seem to find what the difference is other than M may mean manual.  Does it matter which one?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:01:27 am by skeptic »

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: any word on the usbuirt transmit bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:18:25 am »
I saw instructions on the wiki on how to fix it (I followed them and it worked no problem)
I also saw somewhere that somebody posted a fixed binary for 32 bit systems, but I can't remember where I saw it

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:05:20 am »
Apparently a line missed from a Case block in kernels 2.6.20-24 (from memory) which includes 0710RC2.

"Just" add a single line back in and recompile to fix, but I couldn't get it to recompile so I'm stuck for now until I can research it a bit more...

Col

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »
hey guys, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the binary I compiled

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 01:10:48 pm »
 :)
I am the one that did the wiki entry. If you follow this link: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix#The_Spoiler
It will take you right to the precompiled binary tar file. It should work fine on all versions of 710, as the kernel I compiled it against is the same.

I hope it helps. I have actually re-installed since doing the wiki, and I know, all you have to do is follow the instructions there and copy it into the right folder (see instructions) reboot, and Bingo! Fully working USB-UIRT.

So hit that link, and enjoy.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 02:54:11 pm »
rendercot - now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I also lost pg up and pg down on my MCE remote after applying the fix, but I'll have to double check when I get home. I think I also lost the ability to hold the volume button on the IR remote and have it repeat volume commands. Now I have to repeatedly hit the volume buttons to change the volume. Is yours displaying similar side effects on the volume buttons?

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 03:09:39 pm »
 :)

Yes, Un-tar the file first, then copy it over.

Everything should work then.

And as to the page-up/down and volume bits. I have not seen this side effect. I use my channel up/down for rotating the media cube/page-ing through the program guide. And I can hold down the volume control, and it continues to increase/decrease. My MCE remote is the R6 silver version. And these functions also work with my Harmony 880 set to emulate a MCE computer.

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:13:05 pm by seth »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:41:46 pm »
Cool, thanks!  I guess I should have checked the wiki as well instead of just doing a search here. 

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:10:27 pm »
The core has only ever had the USB-UIRT installed on it. My MCE receivers are only attached to the MD's. Basically after I re-installed, I downloaded the .tar file for the recompiled module, made the backup, and copied it over. Then I unplugged the UIRT then rebooted. After it was back up again, I plugged in the USB-UIRT, and of course it was automatically set up. I then proceeded to re-learn my dish, TV, and Roku Box IR bits, my receiver was in the list for the A/V.

After that, I did a reload, and that was it. Now the UIRT can receive from my MCE remotes just fine. While looking at the media director page in the web admin, it shows the MCE remote, but under IR receivers it says only the USB-UIRT.

I tested my pg-up pg-down and the channel up/down, as well as the up/down arrows on my harmony 880 remote (set to emulate MCE remote) and they all work fine in the cube and the channel guide.

I am not sure what you are experiencing, but a good place to start, would be to un-plug the uirt, and the mce blaster if plugged in, reboot the core/md, and after it is up, plug in the UIRT. See if that helps any.

Regards,

Seth