Author Topic: Another media browsing thread..  (Read 9137 times)

jmcrtp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Another media browsing thread..
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:28:58 am »
Before you ask, I have searched and read most if not all of the threads.  First of all, this is not an issue for a small few, it is something that needs to be addressed.  I am fine with using the filename suggestion that has come up numerous times although that does not work.  I have a few files in my /home/user_1/data/videos root dir, then I have made a subdirectory structure 2-deep to test this out.  There is one file in the root (videos) dir, and the rest are in subdir Myd (or subdirs of that).  When I browse I see the public media, then I enter my pin and see all the media if sorting by title.  If I sort by filename then I only see the file in the root dir of my private files.  I though I would see the directory names as well so I can navigate through the file structure?  What good is it if it is root dir or everything?  I saw a thread where someone mentioned to stop complaining and use filename, and if it isn't working its broken, fix it.  Well, it sounds like mine is broken and I would love to know how to fix it.  I have not found any info on here.  I am pretty proficient with unix/linux but new to MCE.

Second question - if I am logged in (I'm listed under user) should I be able to see my private media without entering the pin?  This is my desired behavior to not have to have everyone have access, but I was wondering if this is the way it is supposed to work.  The documentation page example about john and susan's music seems to indicate otherwise.

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Another media browsing thread..
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:01:01 am »
Howdy,

All of my data is under public and on other drives (2nd internal + 2 NFS shares).  I just checked my 0710RC1 system and using Video, by filename, I can navigate into sub directories 3 deep (I checked NFS Share 41/Action/Bond and only 007 films were visible).  Sorry, I don't have any user media.  You might want to check if you have different behavior between user and public media browsing.

HTH,
Roy

jmcrtp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 08:15:55 pm »
Thanks Roy, great idea to check that.  File browsing works fine within the public folder.  I am not able to under my user_1 folder.  I tried changing permissions to 777 just to see if that was an issue and it still would not let me see any directories once I sort by filename.  It goes back to only seeing the files in the root dir and no subdirs.  Is this method of browsing into subdirectories supported in user directories? 

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:48:18 pm »
You might want to check the ownership too.  For example:
Code: [Select]
dcerouter_72579:/home/user_1# ls -la
total 24
drwxrws---  4 pluto_roy pluto_roy 4096 2008-05-03 18:39 .
drwxr-xr-x 25 root      root      4096 2008-05-10 23:36 ..
-rwxrws---  1 pluto_roy pluto_roy 4465 2008-04-29 20:28 bookmarks.html
drwxrws---  3 pluto_roy pluto_roy 4096 2008-05-03 18:39 .config
drwxrws---  6 pluto_roy pluto_roy 4096 2008-05-03 18:35 data

To change ownership:
Code: [Select]
dcerouter_72579:/home/user_1# sudo chown -R pluto_roy.pluto_roy *

Naturally use the owner and group found on your system instead of "pluto_roy".  It should be "pluto_YOURNAMEINLOWERCASE".   :)

HTH,
Roy

jmcrtp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:42:02 pm »
Thanks Roy.  I do have the ownership correct (pluto_jon) for both user and group of the subdirectories, and all files.  I still cannot browse into these folders or even see a folder name once I select sort by filename.  Again this works fine for public, just not for my private/user data.

I have tried a few workarounds but can't get them to work correctly either:

1) I put a folder in public/data/videos and changed permissions/ownership to 750, pluto_jon for user/group.  It was still accessible to public user. 

2) I put a symlink in public/data/videos to user_1/data/videos, a folder there, etc.  This did not work to be able to browse those folders.

Is it just not possible to browse the folders in the user files, only public?  Is there any other hack or workaround anyone can think of? 

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:40:40 am »
Jon - I think I have the same problem (without even a pin assigned), but I haven't investigated it much yet, I'm waiting until I have upgraded to RC2/release.... then I'll post back and let you know if it fixed it,...

jmcrtp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:09:43 am »
Good luck.  FYI I'm running 0710 RC2.  I don't know why it works fine to browse under public folders but does not work under private.  Can anyone with more knowledge on how this is all setup chime in?  I'm new to MCE as of a few days ago.

nosilla99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 11:24:56 am »
The required behaviour used to work in the early days of pluto when browsing by filename was the only option.  When they added browsing by title this broke browsing private user directory structures but some files in the root of each users private directory were visible to all users.

There were bug reports on pluto mantis regarding this but they were never resolved so I guess what should be an easy fix is obvioulsy a little more complicated than it sounds.

I will have a look through the orbiter code this week to see if I can solve this issue.

NOS

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:39:35 am »
When browsing by filename (my preference), I can go into subdirectories when browsing video but not for audio or pictures (all media is public).   Does this happen to anyone else?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 08:13:30 am »
When browsing by filename (my preference), I can go into subdirectories when browsing video but not for audio or pictures (all media is public).   Does this happen to anyone else?

No that's not normal. Can you even see the share name in the media grid, same as for video?

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 05:36:40 pm »
No that's not normal. Can you even see the share name in the media grid, same as for video?

In video everything works like I want.  I see the share and when I go into the share I see all the subdirectories and can navigate properly.

In audio and pictures I see the share name but when I go into it I only see the relevant files in the share itself (don't see any subdirectories but it's the subdirectories that contain 99% of the media I want to have available).

Is this how it's supposed to work?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:27:10 am »
That's strange! OK, everything you see in the media grid is a representation of what is in the database (ie, it doesn't directly reflect the actual folder/file structure), so it will only show folders and files if UpdateMedia has scanned them into the database. I don't know why it wouldn't have scanned them, but you can check this in the Admin web site, login then go to the Files & Media menu->Media Files Sync.

Use the left hand navigation tree and move down public->data->audio->share name->  folders that are in the database should be underlined links, and in the main right pane each object (files and folders) that are in the database should have a big tick icon. Objects that are not, will have a drive icon. Check that first - I suppose its possible that the UpdateMedia script is failing when it hits an object that causes it a problem, before it gets to the folders. Or perhaps it has failed altogether and so is no longer attempting to scan at all. When you are in a folder that has the drive icons indicating that it hasn't scanned them into the database, you can then hit the Resynchronise button at the top. This will open a log window and you can read exactly what UpdateMedia is doing when it attempts to sync them into the database. Permissions issues perhaps?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:28:52 am by colinjones »

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:49:33 am »
I have to appologize.  My newb'ness is showing.  I set up the shares and waited 3 hours and my video files synch'd but audio and pictures didn't.  I check again today and now audio and pictures have synched.

Thanks for the suggestion colinjones!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 12:59:35 am »
Oh, didn't realise you had only just set it up. Yes, UpdateMedia when running in the background will take a long time to sync in. In fact if you use the manual button I outlined above, you will see it takes a while even in the foreground because of all the work it is doing trying to identify attributes, etc. So it was probably working on one of your subdirectories at the time...

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:34:51 pm »

Could you tell me, please,  how to specify default sorting option for video files, please?
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru