Author Topic: Installed then black screen DCE Router login?  (Read 3457 times)

bmxracr96

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Installed then black screen DCE Router login?
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:17:23 am »
Hello all. New to the forums and trying to get this working. After the installation (tried 64bit and 32bit) will get to end. Tells me to remove cd and reboot. Which goes through fine. After it inits for the first time and installs video drivers, sets up lan. It will get a black screen. If i type something in and press enter I wll get a quick flash of a login screen. The login says

(something samba daemon on top)

dcerouter login:
Ubuntu 7.10 dcerouter ttyl

dcerouter login:
Password:

This is all in a split second on the screen, used a high speed camera to capture a picture of it. Is there something that I am missing or not installing correctly??

amd opteron dual core 2.7ghz
2gb ram
7900gs 256mb video card
a8n32sli deluxe asus mb

Thanks

bmxracr96

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Installed then black screen DCE Router login?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:54:07 am »
Well its deffinately a video driver conflict. I can ctrl Alt F3 to kick me to a command prompt. Trying to load driver from command prompt. I can boot into kubuntu but pc will not goin into linuxmce.. Any Ideas?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:01:43 am »
Hello all. New to the forums and trying to get this working. After the installation (tried 64bit and 32bit) will get to end. Tells me to remove cd and reboot. Which goes through fine. After it inits for the first time and installs video drivers, sets up lan. It will get a black screen. If i type something in and press enter I wll get a quick flash of a login screen. The login says

(something samba daemon on top)

dcerouter login:
Ubuntu 7.10 dcerouter ttyl

dcerouter login:
Password:

This is all in a split second on the screen, used a high speed camera to capture a picture of it. Is there something that I am missing or not installing correctly??

amd opteron dual core 2.7ghz
2gb ram
7900gs 256mb video card
a8n32sli deluxe asus mb

Thanks

Hi there and welcome!

When you first install LinuxMCE (or if you want to reconfigure a screen in some way) the AVwizard runs. The Avwizard will always output to VGA @ 640x480 by default... you can use some hot keys on the keyboard to configure the output and the resolution before the AVwizard starts... your systems is sitting there waiting for you to do that ;-)

See this Wiki page for all the details of the Hot Keys and also an explanantion of what the AVwizard does... its worth reading.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard#What_to_do_if_A.2FV_Wizard_does_not_start

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

bmxracr96

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53:01 pm »
I have seen an article similar to the one you posted, and tried what I can, but did not help. I dont here any beeps to tell me when to start the avwizard hot keys. I am using the spdif optical to the onkyo receiver and also have headphones in the analog ports. I know both of these are working correctly on the hardware side because i can boot ""another"" OS and they work fine. But I dont want to settle for this ""other"" OS because its bloated and doesnt do everything I would like:). Im sure you can all agree.

Last night when I got to the lockup screen I could CTRL ALT F3 and kick it out to command prompt. I tried to manually install the nvidia drivers and configure the xorg.conf, but had no luck at doing that. afaik, I was using the drivers off the ubuntu repo, not the proprietary drivers. Driver was called "nvidia".

Thanks

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:14:27 pm »
Definately sounds like xorg configuration trouble, see: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers for additional info on configuring X and installing alternative drivers.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:48:11 am »
bmxracr96 - I had the exacct same problem and I thought the system was jacked up.  Those hot keys did not work for me so I had to follow the steps using the arrow keys to get it fixed.  Also, I did connect a VGA Screen to my MD simultaneously connected to the A/V Receiver.  I was able to get through the setup, but when I unpluggd the VGA monitor, I was back a square 1.  So I hope this helps:

It's tedious but it works:

1.  Plug your VGA Mon to the system.
2.  reboot the system and write down each step you take for the AV setup:  example:  the first screen that comes up is all you do is press enter, next screen (if you want to use DVI - HDMI and 720p) press down arrow 1 tims, press right arrow 1 time and down 2 times and press enter, then wait 11 seconds and press right arrow 1 time and enter.  This will get you past the initial screen while it's black/blank and then allow you to select the UI and you should be home from there.

If that does not work, on my core using a FXF Geforcce 8500 card, I had to attach a DVI to VGA adapter to get things configured and things seem to work fine from there.

Also,, you should hear two set's of beeps; 1) progressive up tone; 2) I think is progressive down tone (I hope I remembered that correctly).  In any case, after the second tone wait about 10 - 15 seconds and you should start with the enter key as described above.

Not scientific but  it worked for me.  Now my only problem is that the system locks up about every hour or so.