Author Topic: One screen orbiter, one video?  (Read 2425 times)

ebolam

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
One screen orbiter, one video?
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:42:13 pm »
Is it possible to have one screen show the orbiter and another show the video playback?

The setup I am working on has a touchscreen for the remote control (currently working flawlessly) and I want to have the video card display the video on my TV (1080i). I can get the clone mode to work, but then the video is distorted on the TV (4:3 aspect on the touchscreen, 19:8, or whatever the wide screen is on the TV) which is not good. I can't get the clone to go the other way as the touchscreen only supports 1024x768.

Is there any way to get this to work? Maybe a second X session with the orbiter running on there without video, with the video displaying on the first X session?
Main MD:
MB: BIOSTAR TA770
CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 Agena
Mem: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB x2
Video: MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ Radeon HD 2600XT
PVR: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500
HD: Seagate 750GB x4

Orbiter:
MB: MSI CN700 Mini-ITX
Screen: ELO 1529L (Touchscreen)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: One screen orbiter, one video?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 12:57:53 am »
I've never seen anything that suggests that dual screens can work like this, although I have seen some people trying it. I think the issue is that the Orbiter you are looking at is the "On Screen Orbiter" and that is designed to be on the same screen as your video. There are other Orbiters as well, like Web Orbiter and Mobile Orbiter that you can put on mobile phones, web pads, PDAs and your laptop/PC - this will then allow you to pop up the orbiter menu system and do all the normal things without affecting the main display and its video, or even use the On Screen Orbiter of another MD! That's the point of the Orbiter, its can go whereever you want to control from (as long as you tell it which MD you want it to control using the Room: button down the bottom)

But not on a second screen, I believe, as this is the same PC and so it will put it on the main display. Conceptually, putting it on a second display is quite a different thing from all the other options I mentioned above, but I agree it would be nice if it could do it - perhaps log a mantis request? You would get the same effect you are looking for, and probably nicer/more effective by using a touch screen web pad with wifi, and it can do that right now - however this is obviously going to be more expensive!

ebolam

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: One screen orbiter, one video?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:19:53 pm »
I got a little farther with this. By using two separate video cards and not using the big desktop settings (so each video card has it's own independent X server) I was able to get the media director on screen orbiter running on one monitor, and the windows orbiter (through wine) working on the other.

This works great with two problems:

The first problem is that every time I click on monitor 2 linuxmce captures the mouse click and presses things on the onscreen orbiter. This causes odd behavior since the screens are at different resolutions.

The second problem is every time I click, the onscreen remote control comes up. I don't want that since I have a dedicated remote on screen 2.

Both of these problems could be solved by getting linuxmce to stop recognizing the mouse (or at least not capturing all mouse clicks even when it is not in it's screen).

So my question is, is there any way to disable the mouse support in the onscreen orbiter without disabling the mouse for X?
Main MD:
MB: BIOSTAR TA770
CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 Agena
Mem: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB x2
Video: MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ Radeon HD 2600XT
PVR: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500
HD: Seagate 750GB x4

Orbiter:
MB: MSI CN700 Mini-ITX
Screen: ELO 1529L (Touchscreen)