Author Topic: LinuxMCE setup with no TV-card  (Read 2019 times)

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE setup with no TV-card
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »
hi,

Gave got a friend who wants a LinuxMCE setup, but doesnt like the way it looks when you plug it into the satellite tv box through the analog capture card. The quality is unacceptable to him, and he doesnt care too much for TV recording.

Is it possible to have such a setup where the TV is conneted directly to the satelite box and home theater systems, and have lmce control the tv and audio player via the USB-UIRT so that when you select tv from the menu it sets the right inputs so as to display the satelite tv in full quality?

Secondly, how can one add unsupported hardware to the templates so that they can be picked up through plug-n-play or confided manually at a later stage, and shared with the rest if HHS community?  We have unsupported TVs and satelite decoders, would like to add settings that other users else when can benifit from & me too obviously! When ever I do a clean install the AV wizard would know my new hardware.

thank you.

Sam

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE setup with no TV-card
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:34:09 pm »
If you do not have a tuner card, you can still make AV device templates for your cable/satellite boxes. They will need to be added via the web admin, and connected using the connection wizard. simply connect the cable box in the standard fashion and make sure that there is an emitter attached to the device you wish to control... When you add the AV device, there will not be any value in the tuner card field, so LMCE will know to not run things through the tuner, and to instead establsih a direct AV path.

and what's wrong with the TV tuner images? Mine are okay. and with the Hauppauge HD PVR, they will be even better.

-Thom