Author Topic: Need help installing on a previously ignored device.  (Read 3727 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Need help installing on a previously ignored device.
« on: August 06, 2008, 02:27:28 am »
My son has a windoze PC that he wants to run LinuxMCE on.  Unfortunately when I boot off PXE it gets to "IP-config: eth0 ....." and just hangs there.  A tail of /var/log/pluto/dhcp_pnp.log shows it's giving it an IP of 192.168.80.248, which is in the LMCE "anonymous devices not in Pluto's database" range of IPs.  I have gone into advanced -> configuration -> unknown devices, found the mac address, and removed it.  I have also gone into /var/lib/dhcp3/* and removed all entries for that computer.  Finally, I rebooted the core.  I have made a tiny bit of progress as originally before doing all this when I did a tail on dhcp_pnp.log it was showing "Device already marked as unknown, ignore" and showing a .245 IP.  Now it's giving it a .248 IP with the message "NEW DEVICE !!!"  Unfortunately I'm still stuck, as the boot still stops at the same spot and I cannot find the device anywhere in the web admin.  I really don't want to go mucking around creating the device by hand as I've read that's a bad idea. 

I may try editing the .lease files and restart dhcpd to give it an IP in the pluto devices range, but I hesitate to do that 'cause messing around with this kind of stuff has bitten me in the past. 

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Need help installing on a previously ignored device.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:15:34 am »
be interested in the answer to this, as it seems difficult to get LMCE to start from scratch in these scenarios - had the same with a file server. But I can say that when an MD boots the first time, it should get an IP in that range, once it has started setting up the MD, then a new IP address is issued in the MD range. So what you are seeing is correct, to that point.... :)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:57:01 pm »
I wondered about that (the IP range on first boot before LMCE knows if it's a device to ignore or a new one).  Good to know it's working correct up to the part where it hangs.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:26:39 am »
I'm wondering how this is done as well.  I have a NAS that I told it too ignore until later.  Well it hasn't shown back up since then.  How can I force the system to ask me again?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:08:17 am »
Any device you've told to ignore permanently, is put into the Unknown Devices screen in the web admin.

In the case of IP devices, they are keyed by IP address and MAC address

In the case of other devices such as internal disks, or PCI or USB devices, whatever is returned from the Plug and Play plugin is displayed here. If it was matched to a device template, a device template # is also shown. You will have to look a bit to match your devices...

Once you've matched your device, simply press Unlock, and it will be added back into the PnP queue for later detection. You can quick reload router to force this action.

I hope this helps,
-Thom

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 02:54:14 am »
One item does exist on my "Uknown devices" page, however its not this device. I released it anyway to see what happened.  Nothing popped up.

I quick reloaded the router and even did a full restart with no change.

I checked the DB table that Thom mentioned PnpQueue and looked for my mac address and IP address.  I got several rows back that are indeed the correct device.  But I'm still not getting any pop ups.  Anything more that I can do.  Would removing any data from these tables force anything to happen?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 03:41:02 am »
last resort, try

DELETE FROM PnpQueue;

inside the pluto_main database

then reload router.

-Thom

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:34:16 am »
Well it took a couple of days, but it finally popped up again.  A manual delete from the DB would seem to have done it. 

Thanks Thom