Author Topic: Linutop  (Read 2976 times)

naturalblue

• View Profile
Linutop
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:28:33 pm »
Does anyone know if Linutop's can be used as MDs. They are small and seem to have everything.
They also look mountable to TVs/LCDs.
Thanx

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Linutop
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:41:50 pm »
Hi

Haven't tried one of these myself, but they look quite nice.
From the specs it seems to be able to run as a MD. But the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Generic_PC states 512MB of RAM, so I would suggest the Linutop 2, although the Linutop 1 might just cut it.

The main problem might be the graphics "card" (AMD Geode). From some googling, it seems that the chip set on the Linutop is supported by the xorg-video-driver-amd driver. I couldn't find any definite information about the video playback acceleration capabilities of the device/driver, so you may not be able to use it to display video or perhaps even use the UI2. Also, I think you need to manually set up the driver.

This indeed look like something that would be perfect for small MD.

sambuca

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Linutop
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:48:01 am »
I think it is unlikely that this would give adequate results as an MD. Currently linuxMCE media directors do their processing on the machine so they are not thin clients - they are just diskless machines.
The processor and video would let you down on that machine I would think.

However, I think that with some development work linuxMCE could be suited to lower end (cheaper and more power efficient) machines. With an orbiter version written using directfb libraries and media player restricted to streaming only then I could see boxes like these working.....