Author Topic: Autodownload podcasts  (Read 2651 times)

mce_in_catford4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Autodownload podcasts
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:15:47 pm »
Hi all,
I have just got my CORE to automatically download podcasts. (Without any extra software)
I was excited about how I did it so I wrote an explination of how I did it on the wiki:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Setup_Automatic_podcast_download#Step_4_-_Add_your_own_podcasts

Firstly is adding this article to the wiki ok for me to do? As a linux MCE beginner it could be a bit of a case of the blind leadin the blind.

Secondly based on what I have done, can the 'experts' suggest improvements. I mean I understand that linuxMCE can tag the media. There is a lot more information in the XML file for each podcast item. I know how to make my bash scripts run mysql commands etc. Is there a way of altering them so that information read from the XML file can be loaded into the database so that LinuxMCE captrues it?

Thirdly I currently want to find out more about tagging media. Can anyone point me in the direction

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Autodownload podcasts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:33:19 am »
I dont think anyone is gonna complain about stuff being added to the wiki as long as it is relevant and at least close to correct ;)
LMCE uses id3 tags extensively for metadata for all types of media. if the filetype doesnt support the addition of an id3 tag then a <filename>.id3 file can be used instead. There are various ways of creating/editing these files, I myself have used the MP3::Tag perl module.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Autodownload podcasts
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:09:42 pm »
look at the source code for src/UpdateMedia from our SVN:

http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810

This daemon does virtually all media detection and extraction of tags from files to be put into the media database.

-Thom