Author Topic: How to turn off router using DVD install?  (Read 2464 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
How to turn off router using DVD install?
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:13:31 pm »
Hi.  I live in a dormitory and there are strict rules about using routers.  Basically, I'm only allowed to use switches, not routers.  So, I want to know how to turn off the router functions of linuxmce using the quick install method.  I can't seem to get the install CDs to work, so I need to know the quick install DVD method.  I just want a standalone media center.  How do I turn off the router aspect?  anyone know?  thanks

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: How to turn off router using DVD install?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:30:26 am »
Its really pretty simple. In the advanced network screen disable the DHCP server on the internal interface and leave the external interface on DHCP. This works fine for a single NIC setup as well. No DHCP and no "router". You will need to turn off the firewall or access it through the internal interface at the default address.

Why are they so specific? They don't want a NAT for you to hide behind?

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How to turn off router using DVD install?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:57:47 am »
I think it's because I'm on a school network and they just want to be in control of the IP addresses on campus.  I didn't really bother to ask why.  Also, whenever I do a fresh install of LMCE, it detects all 300 people in my dorm and asks me if I want to add their computer's content.  It's really annoying, but I'll be going home this summer.  I'll set up LMCE there and then turn off the router when I come back, since I only have 1 computer in 1 room with no home automation stuff.

By the way, thanks for the quick response.  I've put up a few questions before that never saw an answer, so thanks!