Author Topic: How to setup a Disked Media Director for MCE 7.10  (Read 3690 times)

jonesam31

• View Profile
How to setup a Disked Media Director for MCE 7.10
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:07:48 pm »
I am having a load of trouble getting a Media Director to work with my new Linux MCE 7.10 setup, I tried installing Kubuntu, then MCE on top which is the way it was written in a post on the web somewhere but I had huge problems with the setup.

So where I am now is:

Core - Linux MCE 7.10
Media Director - Linux MCE 7.10

Both installed from DVD, all I did was on the Media Director, in the Launch Manager changed Core's IP to the one of my real core however it still seems to be using local details like rooms and media. Is there somewhere else I am supposed to tell it to be a dumb Media Director and not a full Core??

Thanks,

Andy

Crawtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How to setup a Disked Media Director for MCE 7.10
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 02:10:19 am »
First thing to do is pull the hard drive out of the Media Director then go in to the bios and tell it boot of the network card and try that you might get some were

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 03:13:59 am »
he had another post earlier...he wants to do it wirelessly.....

why do you want to do it wirelessly? what will you be using the media director for?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

jonesam31

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:38:57 am »
The reason I need to do it wirelessly is because there is no cable around the house and I'd like a few of these dotted around so cabling would be difficult.

What I want is to be able to view my movies / tv series that are stored on NAS's that are mapped to my Core. I understand I could just have more than one Core but I like the idea of having everything mapped to the core and the Media Directors simply playing it, also maybe down the line the bluetooth follow-me stuff which I don't think you can do with multiple cores.

If i'm missing the point here please let me know...

Thanks again!

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:53:42 pm »
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4921.0

Here you can read how I solved the Wifi PXE boot problem.

Grtz

Thingie