Author Topic: New Skinning engine.  (Read 6170 times)

aussie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
New Skinning engine.
« on: May 07, 2008, 03:33:09 am »
I am Willing to pay $400-500US for a new skinning engine like XML to be applied to linuxMCE.      i will give A respected member of the linuxMCE $250 to hold in good faith and the rest upon completion. i would be happy to donate it all to the lmce project.  i have some experience in XML skinning in media portal which from there i can help out. in further devolopment. 

I Hope again i don't come across as throwing money to a good foundation to get what i want.  i really want to help out and if a XML engine was added then myself and others would be able to.     

Thanks for hearing me out.
Aussie

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New Skinning engine.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 06:35:42 pm »
I agree. I've also used skinning in media portal. And it real simple to make things liike the way you would like to look.

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:36:50 pm »
Btw I'd add in 100 usd via paypal

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:30:55 am »
Aussie,

Have you been through the HADesigner tutorials that Thom put together?

The system is designed with a 'skinning' engine already, its just the data is kept in a database rather than XML. There is a visual editor for this. Putting XML in its place is adding pretty minimal value I would have thought in this instance.

regards
Darren

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 01:24:13 pm »
Just out of curiosity, would it be hard to implement some sort of import/export tool to convert XML to and from the database?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

aussie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:12:34 pm »
it would make alot more sense for me to code it it in XMl   i get confused when it comes to the lookup in the sql and the GUI of LMCE frontend is just confusing with its %'s and $ symbols where as an XML engine would be easy to implement graphics to ones liking and customization to ones home such as colour ad stuff to get the feeling just right.    sorry about the spelling keyboard is running out.

my offer still stands. it would be a great starting point for UI3.   Look foward to hearing from more of you :)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:20 pm »
*hmm*

dude....

no, it wouldn't.

The same could be implemented with a better HA Designer.

All the same, if anyone does manage to look into the problem and create a comprehensive patch to do the functionality, we would definitely accept it.

:)

aussie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:45:02 am »
So what your saying is instead of putting it to a new engine just keep trying to improove HAdesigner?    then would it be possible for HAdesigner to have more effects. such as slide transitions between pictures?   not sure but is there more then just an up down scroll over and out effect on HA?  what i mean is just two images on/off? if theres more to that then ill def give it another try :)   I have a new AMD's on the way  and have already got my motherboards :D   So you'll be seeing me alot trying to design some new stuff in the next few months :)  im prety good with graphics on photoshop so please let me know where i can help in either a new UI or improoving HA. 

Also i have seen XBMC's port to linux?  Would it be possible to put XBMC as a frontend? and use scripts to call each function such as lighting and calls ect... just wondering if theirs any conflicts using python as a scirpting lanuage?

Cheers Aussie.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:53:23 am by aussie »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:45:39 am »
yes, that would be possible, but it would seem like to me like attaching xbmc with duct tape.

But as I was saying before, I suggest getting to know the material that i've posted. There are a LOT of different targets that Orbiter displays to, and we need to target them all.

Once we have a set of people who understand the current system's capabilities, we can move forward with further UI improvements, but not before.

-Thom

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 10:45:45 am »
I agree with Thom,

Ideally, the HADesigner is clunky, but it does allow for multiple display types..

From watching Thom's screencasts, it's pretty apparent that trying to regraft XML into the multi heirachy of the current database would be a futile effort.

I highly suggest watching some of those screencasts.. they are *REALLY* helpful, and also show you WHY HADesigner is the way it is...

HTH,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:00:48 am »
well, not that it is futile.. i see what he is saying...but I do think more people need to look at my screencasts and use HADesigner before we can really strike up a communal discussion on the matter.

-Thom

aussie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 03:44:05 am »
i have watched some of your screens in my spare time and they do explain alot thanks  :) ;)  , i think my oringinal point of this topic was that you would have more of a wider audience in design aspect the  HAdesigner.   i recieved my cpu tday and am about to install it tonight

things i will be trying is HAdesigner method and see what things i can create. 
if i am confused by it for more then 2 days i will try implmenting XBMC over the top of it and see what i can create from their :)  and see if i can implement some python scripts from xbmc to lmce ;)   i have already made a semi skin with Media portal and hopefully i can use some of its design elements...           

Will post here again on prob thurs and let u know how i am going with HAD.

wish us luck.
Aussie.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:48:48 am by aussie »