Author Topic: Simple Network Question  (Read 3015 times)

OnTarget

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Simple Network Question
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:18:49 pm »
Hello,

I currently have a dedicated dhcp server (FreeBSD) which feed all my other machines my cable internet.
The setup is standard 1 eth port to the cable modem and another to the switch.

LMCE wants to be the server and I want to let it. My problem is that my cable point on the other side of the house to my aieral points.
Moving the points is not a simple or cheap task in this house. Running a network cable from the modem to the core's location is also not an option due to long length of the cable and poor output from the modem.

I am sure there is a simple solution out there I am just not doing well getting it.

Thank You.

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: Simple Network Question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 07:13:38 pm »
Hello,

I currently have a dedicated dhcp server (FreeBSD) which feed all my other machines my cable internet.
The setup is standard 1 eth port to the cable modem and another to the switch.

LMCE wants to be the server and I want to let it. My problem is that my cable point on the other side of the house to my aieral points.
Moving the points is not a simple or cheap task in this house. Running a network cable from the modem to the core's location is also not an option due to long length of the cable and poor output from the modem.

I am sure there is a simple solution out there I am just not doing well getting it.

Thank You.

Hello, welcome.

from what I can make out from your post, you have a cable modem connected to a dhcp server(FreeBSD) then connected to a switch that goes to all your other machines.
The simple easy fix, is to put the LinuxMCE Core where your dhcp server currently is...then you can (possibly) reuse your old dhcp server as a Media Director..

the back end (core) doesn't need to be too powerfull, it operates like a big router..

you could possibly re-task your current DHCP server to become a linuxMCE core, and then use your current core as a MD..

Now, you still have the possibility of running a cable.. actually, you already have the cables run.
just get some quick connects, and extend (join 2 cables together) from the cable modem to where you want to put the core.  Don't forget, the switch should be on the private side of the core, so I still think my first suggestion is better.

HTH,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 09:35:30 pm »

My core only has one network card this is my setup.
I used an old linksys (non wifi) cheap router on my cable modem.  I had setup the linksys with a dhcp range of 192.168.1.x (so not to conflict with linuxmce's 192.168.80.x)  I ran dhcp on the router long enough to get the core up and running completely.

As soon as the install was done I set a static IP on the core, and disabled dhcp on the linksys router.  After I rebooted the core everything worked as planned.

They are all run through the same switches without an issue for me.

This also gives me the ability to turn dhcp back on from the router if my core goes down (or I'm tinkering with it) and get my wife's laptop (she's doesn't always appreciate the elegance of linuxmce and the need to upgrade) connected to the outside. 

Other options are additional firewall, option to setup a network DMZ...

Just what worked for me in a similar situation.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:53:01 pm »
I have to state, however.. if you do these alternative network setups, you will have to be aware of them, and the fact that you lose functionality by implementing these setups... so why even do them?

-Thom

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »
Well sometimes you need to do these other network setups.  My house topology would make it difficult to get cables where they need to be, or I would need to start purchasing extra MD's if I had to move my core.

I agree that the network setup needs to be known, but doesn't it anyway?  Linuxmce is coming along great and I'm looking for places I can help, but you need to understand what you are doing.

What kind of network pieces are you referring to that might get lost?  I have all of my functionality, including wireless.  The worst would be getting outside access to my computer because of the additional firewall, but my cablemodem has such a slow upload it doesn't really matter, as it isn't real useful anyway.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:55:31 pm »
* media director setup
* seamless configuration of network shares to be spidered
* workstation back-up to core
* cisco 7970 IP phone support
* HDHomeRun support

to name a few.