Author Topic: Myth backward incompatiblity  (Read 9054 times)

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Myth backward incompatiblity
« on: May 06, 2008, 01:37:48 am »
I previously setup mythtv (svn release) on another box, and have loaded all my media files(video,audio, etc) on to it.  I configured it and attempted to connect(expecting much delight) , but the error says I have protocol version 40 and LinuxMCE uses 31.  After downloading the current release version, resolving dependancy, etc still not happy.  This time its the db schema version.  A couple more hours of downloading and compiling and I got the frontend to work.  However,  I can't tell LinuxMCE that the world viewable share name is \\mythdvr\sharename (and specify user/pass) so it can't actually play the files.  I read that you put a wrapper around mythtv so direct upgrade using (svn and svn update) may not be possible, but is still is desirable.  However, implementing a much newer mythtv is possible.  Also because of the wrapper the main interface still uses the old version. Darn!! 

Also RC1 was release on April 28, why is it not using the new ubuntu version 8.04 because kubuntu is obviously based on ubuntu.  Some kind of forward compatibility would be nice, possibly using "create view" to create a compatible view of the databases.  Otherwise all frontend and backends have to be identical versions, and I not rolling my version back to some version that an archaeologists dug up.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Myth backward incompatiblity
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:21:13 am »
Wow, what a ramble!

Please keep in mind, that we have stuck to stable versions of MythTV to use with our stack. This isn't some MythTV distribution with other stuff tacked onto the side, but rather a very cohesively integrated whole house solution. We have had a number of issues that we have had to resolve to get our pending release based on 0710 out the door, and it will be released very soon.

With that said, we will move up to the next stable release of MythTV once we have 0806 completed. If you don't like it...well, sorry.. We are not using SVN versions of MythTV to suit your view of the universe. We have a substantially bigger code-base than MythTV to deal with. If you'd like to see, I suggest downloading our current SVN:

http://svn.linuxmce.org/pluto/branches/charon-merge/

and having a look. I think you'll find that MythTV's code is dwarfed in comparison to the rest of the Pluto stack.

Now, please let us get back to work, without bothering us with questions that we continually answer from people like you who think they know everything, and fail to look at the whole picture. Thank you.

-Thom

I previously setup mythtv (svn release) on another box, and have loaded all my media files(video,audio, etc) on to it.  I configured it and attempted to connect(expecting much delight) , but the error says I have protocol version 40 and LinuxMCE uses 31.  After downloading the current release version, resolving dependancy, etc still not happy.  This time its the db schema version.  A couple more hours of downloading and compiling and I got the frontend to work.  However,  I can't tell LinuxMCE that the world viewable share name is \\mythdvr\sharename (and specify user/pass) so it can't actually play the files.  I read that you put a wrapper around mythtv so direct upgrade using (svn and svn update) may not be possible, but is still is desirable.  However, implementing a much newer mythtv is possible.  Also because of the wrapper the main interface still uses the old version. Darn!! 

Also RC1 was release on April 28, why is it not using the new ubuntu version 8.04 because kubuntu is obviously based on ubuntu.  Some kind of forward compatibility would be nice, possibly using "create view" to create a compatible view of the databases.  Otherwise all frontend and backends have to be identical versions, and I not rolling my version back to some version that an archaeologists dug up.

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 03:14:07 am »
Now, please let us get back to work, without bothering us with questions that we continually answer from people like you who think they know everything, and fail to look at the whole picture. Thank you.
-------------------

I don't know everything, in fact I know very little about your product.  If I knew everything I would ask any questions and would do everything my self.  The other thing is my comments seem to be mis-interpreted with an attitude that can not be expressed in the plain text format, and was not intended that way.

I simply meant to convey an actual users experience so that others realize that this is an issue.  In addition, I went through the trouble of explaining what steps I took to work around the issue so that work would not have to be duplicated, and not to appear to be "rambling".  Also, if I was one the annoying masses I would simply whine and complain without trying to do anything to help.

I hope to actually use your product once my future house is actually built and not just a 3d model. 
Where can I program "\\mythdvr\sharename (and specify user/pass)" so that LinuxMCE can see automount  the share with hard coding it in the mtab or fstab where the username and password would be stored in clear text.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 03:25:59 am »
We have a specific network topology that we specify for installations, in that the LinuxMCE core machine becomes the firewall and gateway for the LAN.

As a side effect of this, LinuxMCE constantly scans for windows and NFS shares on the network, as well as other network devices such as IP phones, diskless media directors, etc.. and asks if you want to configure them.

-Thom

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:03:50 am »
Is this plug and play ability initiated by upnp, dhcp server, or what??  I have 3 password protect shares that were not detected, and a Netgear eva8000, network printer, and mythdvr  which were not detected.  However, they are outside the reach of LinuxMCE dhcp server.  The LinuxMCE server has 2 nics, the link to the outside network which links to the outside world, and a private network for home automation.  So far nothing is plugged in to the private home automation NIC.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:34:42 am »
that's why you're not seeing any of the shares... any shares to detect MUST be present on the internal NIC.

-Thom

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 05:14:59 am »
Can I manually setup it up???

Do you know what the default Bluetooth pin is and/or where to change it.

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 05:51:19 am »
Also has anyone considered simulating a bluetooth headset.  Virtually all cell phones support those bluetooth headsets and LinuxMCE could use that to answer your cell phone for you.  Perhaps even allow you to talk to someone without even picking up your cell phone.  A nearby mic and speaker,on any frontend, could be used.  Optionally conversations could be digitally recorded.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 06:23:01 am »
Supporting bluetooth headsets from the Orbiter telephones are on my list. I currently attach a bluetooth headset to my Cisco 7970 and use it that way...using my orbiter pad (Nokia N800) to dial.

-Thom

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 02:57:23 pm »
Supporting bluetooth headsets was my next question.  How about when I go into my cell phone and click "scan for headset", it find a headset named "LinuxMCE" (or similiar).  In other words a software headset, and therefore LinuxMCE could record entire conversions or just act as an answering machine.  Also if possible use bluetooth to download all phone data ie. (caller id,phonebook,calendar,recent dialed,recent recieved, etc and maybe even backup the internal flash drive). 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »
sounds cool, fire up DCEGen, and start hacking on a device! :-)

-Thom

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 06:07:43 pm »
While it does sound cool, I don't know where to begin.  I googled dcegen trying to find some usefull documentation, but found none.  I do know how to program in c++,perl, and vb but in Windows.  I could get a bluetooth headset, but I would need a program like tcpdump to read the raw stream and then decode it.  Then I would have to know communicate with LinuxMCE to tell it about the device.  I assume all the data is stored in the mysql database, but I could be wrong.  Where do I find this kind of documentation??

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 06:13:35 pm »
DCEGen is the tool we use for creating new DCE devices. I suggest looking on the wiki:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/

Our source code is in SVN, we're currently working on this branch:

http://svn.linuxmce.org/pluto/branches/charon-merge/

DCEGen is in there.. It creates the initial skeleton for the C++ needed to create a new device.

Basically, you create a new device, with the commands that need tob e implemented, and then run DCEGen to generate the code stubs, which you then implement.

We also work in the IRC channel, but I would suggest taking the code that's there in SVN, and studying it, there is a lot of it, and most of it isn't documented, yet.

-Thom

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 08:14:48 pm »
Basically, you create a new device.
-------------------------------
Is there an automated script, or which files do I edit, or make copies of and rename for my purpose.  It would seem that I would use another device as a template and make copies of the code and retool it for my device.  Most devices LinuxMCE reaches out and pnps it, but this one would be the device reaching out to find my virtual speaker does this cause any additional complexities?  Do I download and compile everything, or can I pull the necessary parts out for individual compile?? 

I probably could figure it out eventually, but it would be faster if you just told me.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 08:16:43 pm »
as I mentioned, DCEGen takes a device template in the database, and creates a skeleton for it. But you'll need to spend some time looking at both the wiki, and the checked out source code, to get a grasp of the system.

start by looking at the DCE page on the wiki.

-Thom