Author Topic: How to exit MythTV and more  (Read 2411 times)

scsever

• View Profile
How to exit MythTV and more
« on: May 03, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »
Greetings,
I'm new to LinuxMCE, but have been using MythTV for about four years now and experimented with Pluto quite a bit in the past.
MythTV has gotten to a point where I'm really pleased with the install and functionality, but I would like a little more out of it, hence try Pluto and now LinuxMCE.  Since I don't have any home automation equipment at this time (gradually working into that), I find that I am using MythTV most of the time. 
I better get down to my subject question before you decide to leave this post, then I have a couple other questions.  From what I can see the only way to get from MythTV and back to the LinuxMCE GUI is to do a shutdown of the frontend; esc, esc... Isn't there a way to switch from one to the other?  I really don't see the point in shutting down are restarting the MythTV frontend every time I want to use it.
Also I wonder why more of the MythTV plug-ins haven't been installed in LinuxMCE, such as MythWeather or MythNews, since LinuxMCE doesn't offer these, other than using a browser (from what I can find)?  I've added the plug-ins that I wanted, will I run into problems by doing so?
So to summarize:
How to keep Mythfrontend running while switching back to LinuxMCE GUI?
Is there a reason for LinuxMCE not using more of MythTV in the install?
Will I have problems by adding MythTV plug-ins?

Thanks,
Steve

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: How to exit MythTV and more
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 06:51:18 pm »
As you can see, LinuxMCE is a lot more than MythTV with some extra stuff added on. It's an entire smart home platform built as an appliance.

With that said, we use MythTV for what it is best suited for, for the PVR. We also integrate VDR as well...

We do not install the other plugins because they do not have an orbiter UI. This is very important to this project. I do not know if you're aware of this, but the entire UI is distributed across many different device types, and the current UI paradigm that's used in MythTV (and other software that we wrap) isn't up to this task....

with that said, we are working on adding in a Weather plugin (as part of the climate menu), and an RSS news reader (under Media) media type. So that these things can not only be used from the TV, but also from your tablets, cell phones, IP phones, etc.

We are thinking a bit more long term. :-)

-Thom

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:57:26 pm »
 ???
How are you controlling your system. To exit out of MythTV, you can do several things depending on how you control it.

At the very simplest level, using a a keyboard, hit F7, then using the arrow keys, navigate to the bottom option on the far left to "Off"

If using a keyboard and mouse, hit F7, and then move the cursor over to the far left and click Off.

If using a MCE remote, press the "Home" or "Microsoft symbol" button, and then use the remotes directional pad to select "Off" from the far left. Or even simpler, press the "Stop" button on the remote.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

scsever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:57:52 am »
Thanks to both of you for your responses.
I'm currently using a keyboard for all my controls.
F7 does provide some control options that I hadn't seen before, so will be using it now.
I don't want anyone to take my opinion as a knock against the people that put all that hard work
into this product on their own time, but as an end user I see the MythTV feature a bit awkward with
the startup time (scaling images and such) just to view TV.  But on the other hand I understand the
reasons for using it, and couldn't do better myself...  I think as the weather and news features come
I'll care less about TV through the PC since I can just change my input device for regular TV viewing anyway.

Thanks again,