Author Topic: Widescreen Pal resolution  (Read 7156 times)

wout

• View Profile
Widescreen Pal resolution
« on: May 03, 2008, 12:23:08 pm »
Hi All,

I have a traditional sony widescreen pal tv. I would like to have lmce use it's widescreen resolution. The a/v wizard doesn't include this resolution:
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNTSC.asp

Does anybody have this working?

Thanks in advance

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Widescreen Pal resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:30:06 am »
Hi,

I am sorry to say I don't have any solution to this, only that I have the same problem. Did you get anywhere with this problem?

When setting up the AV Wizard, I selected S-video out, and then I only get a list of PAL/NTSC resolutions to select from. Is there any way to get S-video out with 16:9 format?

sambuca

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:05:48 am »
this is a pretty generic suggestion but have you googled for your TV model and 'modeline'?

you could potentially find an ideal setting for your specific set and then manually change the xorg.conf file.
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:45:30 am »
Hi

Yes, I suppose so. I'll see if I can find out something.

On the other hand, since widescreen TVs are so common these days, I think this kind of setting should be available from within the AV Wizard. Especially since LMCE likes to have complete control over such settings.

When I think about it, perhaps it is possible to change the resolution setting from the pluto-admin website. This way I wont have to worry about LMCE overwriting my settings. I suppose the nvidia driver probably has a modeline already that suits the 16:9 format. (720x576 or something).
Anyone have any idea if this is feasible?

sambuca

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:40:02 am »
the mythtv wiki has a pretty good modeline database....

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:30:50 am »
Hi,

I also stumbled upon the MythTV modeline database (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database), but it has a note on the top of the page that says:
"Note: Modelines are not used by recent Nvidia and Intel drivers when using the TV-Out ability of these chipsets. Instead they use an internal list of valid modes."

So, to me it appears you cannot use a custom modeline with TV-out. I can't remember which built-in modelines are available in the driver, but I think there were no modelines for widescreen and PAL. I do think I saw one widescreen line, but that was for some HDTV standard.

sambuca

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:17:55 am »
I can assure you that adjusting the modeline did have a dramatic effect on my nvidia graphics card output, but that is easy enough to check, just make a big change in your modeline, restart X and see if you notice a difference..
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
WinTV PVR-150 MCE

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 03:31:12 pm »
Guys - you are talking at cross purposes. I have no reason to doubt that the modelines don't get used for the TV-out with recent nVidia hardware. But who was talking about TV-out? The conversation here was about widescreen TVs, so TV-out isn't relevent. I presume that it is HDMI/DVI or at least component in which case modelines are entirely relevent, and the comments about TV-out not using modelines doesn't apply...

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 03:36:07 pm »
i was assuming he was using dvi connection....my fault....I should have been more specific.
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
WinTV PVR-150 MCE

wout

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:43:06 pm »
My tv is connected to the tv out of my nvidia card.... If it helps...

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 08:56:33 pm »
Guys - you are talking at cross purposes. I have no reason to doubt that the modelines don't get used for the TV-out with recent nVidia hardware. But who was talking about TV-out? The conversation here was about widescreen TVs, so TV-out isn't relevent. I presume that it is HDMI/DVI or at least component in which case modelines are entirely relevent, and the comments about TV-out not using modelines doesn't apply...

well...now it applies  ;)

can you use DVI, HDMI or even just the old "VGA" cable to connect it to your TV?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 02:09:21 am »
Sorry, misunderstood, thought we were talking about an RF-modulated out! If its just composite, then yes of course it can do widescreen, but as teedge77 hints... don't use it! If its a wide-screen I would be surprised if it didn't at least have component or even s-video...