Author Topic: No sound from playing movies but works everywhere else.  (Read 2386 times)

chaos1965

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
No sound from playing movies but works everywhere else.
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:23:02 pm »
I need to start off by saying everything worked perfectly previously.  Nothing has changed, no hardware, no software, just came home one day and sound stopped coming from playing my movies.  Only movies without AC3 encoding would have sound.

So I rebooted and went back into the AV wizard, and when it's playing DD/AC3 sound test, I hear it just fine.  So I answer yes... then of course my reciever does not support DTS, therefore I hear no sound from the DTS test and answer no.

I get back into LMCE, and sound works from MythTV (my sound config for myth is modified to play sound through my spdif/iec958 with AC3 passthrough enabled)

I get sound in movies not supporting DD/AC3 and just use 2 speaker stereo.

When I play a movie that does have DD tracks, I get no sound. 

I have had this problem in the past about a month ago, and I distinctly remember re-running the AV wizard being sure I answered the questions properly fixed it before.  This time it's not working.

So I figured whats a 103rd re-install of lmce to me, so I re-installed again and am getting the same results.

I've gone through all sorts of documentation regarding alsa configs, xine configs.  I've referenced posts here, posts elsewhere, wiki's here and elsewhere, and none of this information seems relevant because all of it is assuming there is a configuration problem.  But as I follow instructions put forth in all this documentation, as I follow the directions i'm finding that all my config files are ALREADY setup properly, just as the documentation states.  So I never had to change anything, my configs are consistent with all the documentation i've referenced. 

At first I suspected the AC3/DD decoding capability burned out in my reciever, which is why I immediately rebooted to the avwizard, and the AC3/DD test int he Avwizard plays 5.1 sound perfectly.  Just not when i'm back in lmce.

710b3
Nforce 520LE Chipset
IDT HD 6-channel HD audio CODEC using the snd-hda-intel sound module

Any ideas, point in the right direction maybe?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: No sound from playing movies but works everywhere else.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 05:45:39 pm »
 :)
OK. I was having the same issue. Here is what I did to temporarily resolve it. After getting the system up, to where the mythtv is playing via digital audio, open the webadmin, go to the media directors page, and on the media director you are using digital on, from the drop down box under audio, select stereo. But leave the AC3 box checked. At the bottom click update, and then do a router reload. Now my videos and my mythtv play using the digital output.

This is not a fix, and there is an issue, but it can be used as a temporary workaround.

Hope this helps.
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

deffcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: No sound from playing movies but works everywhere else.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:33:36 am »
Hi,

Thnx for you're temp solution it works, bot only analog through spdiff, what issue is this? And when will it be solved, because i don't have the issue on the 0710 Beta 4, but only in the new 
0710 Rc1.

Dave