Author Topic: Strange diagonal distortion on divx files - not present when playing on Win MP  (Read 4605 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
I have a couple of divx videos, that when I came to play them the first time, there are some very strange diagonal distortion "lines". They are clearly part of the signal repeated as they change with the picture in the background and you can sometimes make out the picture in them themselves. They are overlayed quite transparently over the real picture, but sometimes they are so pronounced as to make the image unwatchable, other times they are just annoying ghosts.

Never seen anything like it before, but it happens on 2 different divx's from different sources. Have tried a few other pre-existing, known-good videos on my media share and don't see this behaviour. No idea whether it is related to divx itself, it is quite likely that it is a coincidence that both happen to be divx. AVICodec tells me that they are both divx v5.

When I play them in Windows Media Player, they both play perfectly! Anybody seen this before? Suggestions?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
BTW, just checked another video file I got the same day and plays just fine - it is also divx5 with pretty much the same specs (res and bps) as the other two...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Just upgraded to RC2, at first I thought it had fixed this. But no.... seems it is related to the Hardware Acceleration option in the admin site. When you set it to opengl the issue starts after a reload on those specific files. Switch it back to xv and reload, issue goes away. Happens on both RC1 and RC2/release...

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
I just noticed that some of my .avi movies (divx) are distorted when using opengl acceleration. The movie is unwatchable, with a storng diagonal distortion. I changed back to xv, and the problem went away. Did you ever find a solution to the distortion?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Yes, but i can't remember how - probably a rebuild! Its possible that your suggestion is correct as at one point a long time ago I was playing with those options, but I haven't in a while. Generally, I leave all those options at the default. From what I gathered (mostly from Totallymaxed) most of them don't really do much (any more?) generally you should be able to get good playback without changing any of them.

Andrew - if you are reading, could you give an update on your position with these settings? Do you (CHT) normally change any and if so, why? If not, is it true that they (mostly) do nothing?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Yes, but i can't remember how - probably a rebuild! Its possible that your suggestion is correct as at one point a long time ago I was playing with those options, but I haven't in a while. Generally, I leave all those options at the default. From what I gathered (mostly from Totallymaxed) most of them don't really do much (any more?) generally you should be able to get good playback without changing any of them.

Andrew - if you are reading, could you give an update on your position with these settings? Do you (CHT) normally change any and if so, why? If not, is it true that they (mostly) do nothing?

We always leave those settings at their defaults... the only setting we change is for 'De-interlace'... and that varies depending on the video card used and also the performance of your processor too currently.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile

We always leave those settings at their defaults... the only setting we change is for 'De-interlace'... and that varies depending on the video card used and also the performance of your processor too currently.

Andrew

That's good to know, thanks.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I think I'm having this issue or something similar to it. I'd call them diagonal clouds, not lines, and they look a bit like the northern lights. The divx movies play back in black and white, but the clouds have a single-colored hue that changes depending on the material.

It's fixed if I switch to xv. Problem is that the UI2-masked responsiveness is poor and movie playback is stutter-y with xv (opengl's much better), so I'm stuck switching to xv each time I want to watch certain DivX movies.

It's a fairly fresh build, you guys think a rebuild is worth it?