Author Topic: 0710 release date clarification  (Read 4899 times)

bort

• First post!
    • View Profile
0710 release date clarification
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:27:26 pm »
The RC1 post on the front page reads: "On April 25th we will go ahead and release it and have it mastered to DVD unless anybody finds any significant problems with it." Should I parse this as

"0710 RC1 was released on April 25th, and 0710 Final will be released at some indefinite point in the future"

or

"0710 RC1 was released on April 23rd, and 0710 Final was expected to be (but wasn't, apparently) released on April 25th"

and, if the latter is correct, is there any word on a new release date for 0710 Final? (I noticed that the release candidate's "known issues" page is empty.)

Thanks.

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 0710 release date clarification
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:40:05 pm »
bort,

The status you report has not changed and others have noted the lack of updated info on release date and have requested any sort of quick status.

Some also share your questions about why updating the status (by editing the page or simply replying to forum messages) remains hard for folks who may have updates to share.

I agree that additional status communication from they-who-know would increase confidence and facilitate planning for the community.

joseph

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 03:09:53 am »
bort,

The status you report has not changed and others have noted the lack of updated info on release date and have requested any sort of quick status.

Some also share your questions about why updating the status (by editing the page or simply replying to forum messages) remains hard for folks who may have updates to share.

I agree that additional status communication from they-who-know would increase confidence and facilitate planning for the community.

joseph
:D
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 04:17:11 am »
I agree 100% - these periods of silence do absolutely no good for this project. I've been utterly disgusted lately with where things have been going.

I sure hope the silence is broken soon

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:40:54 am »
That's pretty harsh.  Please remember that there are people working hard on this project.  With a project of this magnitude (with a relatively small full-time development staff at Pluto and really only a handful of main devs at this point on the LMCE side), delays are to be expected.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 01:25:19 pm »
yes, delays are to be expected, and it is an enormous project. However, status updates are important to maintain a healthy user base.

Also, the project has become very "closed" (for an open source project). As a prime example, I spent months learning the source code and the inner workings, spent a great amount of time refactoring and fixing the X10 code that has been broken for years, and got my changes sponsored by a Pluto dev. However, when trying to get on the dev team I was pretty much told that I wasn't good enough, and would have to continue finding someone to sponsor my SVN updates (which would cut my productivity in half, which I simply don't have the time for). I have many improvements for the Lighting and Climate plugins that would be of benefit to many people.

So please understand, when I say that I am disgusted, its not about release dates or the punctuality of them, rather its about the direction the entire project seems to be going (why would an open-source project not accept more help and ideas, why are only a select few in the know, etc...)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 04:14:18 pm »
yes, delays are to be expected, and it is an enormous project. However, status updates are important to maintain a healthy user base.

Also, the project has become very "closed" (for an open source project). As a prime example, I spent months learning the source code and the inner workings, spent a great amount of time refactoring and fixing the X10 code that has been broken for years, and got my changes sponsored by a Pluto dev. However, when trying to get on the dev team I was pretty much told that I wasn't good enough, and would have to continue finding someone to sponsor my SVN updates (which would cut my productivity in half, which I simply don't have the time for). I have many improvements for the Lighting and Climate plugins that would be of benefit to many people.

So please understand, when I say that I am disgusted, its not about release dates or the punctuality of them, rather its about the direction the entire project seems to be going (why would an open-source project not accept more help and ideas, why are only a select few in the know, etc...)

Now that seems pretty messed up. But i know I'm thankfull for your hard work :) the x10 update makes my system way more usable.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 05:09:01 pm »
The RC1 post on the front page reads: "On April 25th we will go ahead and release it and have it mastered to DVD unless anybody finds any significant problems with it." Should I parse this as

Bort, you can pretty much consider RC1 the final 710 release. There is an issue with USB-UIRT on 32-bit but that should be fixable via update; as soon as I verify that, symlinks from final to RC1 will be made on the mirrors.

Jon, all I asked was that you contribute more than one patch before I gave you commit access. I've contributed to a number of open source projects and not one gave me commit access after making one contribution. Admittedly you contribution was very cool and I had Dan Damron review it, but commit access means your code is of such long time high quality that I don't need to review your contributions and I can trust that you will continue to maintain the code for years into the future. I suggested that you might get another developer to review your code until he was confident enough to sponsor you for commit access. We really need all the developers we can get, but I've given commit access to people in the last few months who then disappeared entirely. I had to admit to myself that this type of churn is not good for the project, and so I instituted a relatively easy to meet bar for commit access; submit a few patches, or get sponsored by an existing svn committer. Just because you don't have commit access does not mean you can't call yourself an LMCE developer, some might even prefer that because it means they are not responsible for day to day code maintenance, the person committing your code took on that responsibility when they committed your code.

-- Daniel

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 06:01:50 pm »
johndecker, please keep up your good work. Just PM me if you need to check sth in.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 07:59:55 pm »
ok thanks for the clarification - I guess I had taken it completely different --sorry. I guess I will get back to work on some things

nosilla99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 10:14:51 am »
Jon,

Good to hear you have some ideas for future development

I have sent you a PM.

NOS