Author Topic: DVD install with NVDIA 880GTS 320MB Card  (Read 6680 times)

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
DVD install with NVDIA 880GTS 320MB Card
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:36:03 am »
Hi

I have have used the both the B4 and RC1 DVD installer on my pc to install LinuxMCE. Both installs finished and I restarted the machine but I am unable to access the AVWizard. I get the beebs and choose 1 for DVI and have also tried all the resolution keys but the screen remains blank. I have also tried svideo from the card but still no display.

I read somewhere that their may be issues with the NVDIA 880GTS 320MB Card that I am using.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Paul

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DVD install with NVDIA 880GTS 320MB Card
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:16:44 pm »
Its a known issue with the new cards and kubuntu

try this

goto menu.lst in the grub with adding this

# defoptions=quiet splash vga=0x31B

This sets the refresh rate and native resolution for the TFT at 1280 x 1024, wich is mine also

I started up in recovery mode and did command "startx" to start the GUI in root mode

After adding
# defoptions=quiet splash vga=0x31B

to the list it worked!!

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:34:00 am »
Hi powerbits

Thanks for the info: could you please advise me about about to carry out your suggestions?

I presume I enter the grub after the DVD installation is complete? How do I

goto menu.lst in the grub with adding this # defoptions=quiet splash vga=0x31B

Then I start in recovery mode and enter startx in the command line? Will the AVWizard start then?

Sorry for the hand holding but not too good on this Linux stuff just yet. Any extra help would be appreciated.

Paul

enrique.lopez

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:20:46 am »
Yoo look here this page is in spanish but is possible in english
http://www.nvidia.es/object/linux_display_ia32_169.12_es.html

htoerrin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 04:16:29 pm »
I had some similar issues with am 8400GS it's not a complete howto, but it might be helpful. Anyway, these are the steps I used to get my system working,...

Open a terminal by pressing ctrl+alt+f2
Go to runlevel 1: sudo telinit 1
Run the AVWizard manually: sudo /usr/pluto/bin/AVWizard_Run.sh
AVWizard fails
Reboot: sudo reboot

Install nvidia drivers with envy
wget http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/legacy/envy-0.9.10-0ubuntu10-all.deb
sudo dpkg -i envy...
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f

Once again reboot and go to the terminal
Stop X: sudo /usr/pluto/bin/Stop_X.sh
Run AVWizard manually as described
Rebot

Easy!
 ;D

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 04:51:58 pm »
Has anyone had any trouble getting the video going before installation?  I'm trying to get LMCE 64bit to run on my nvidia 8600 GTS, but when press enter to start the DVD install, the screen goes blank and the TV displays a no signal message.  Not sure how to proceed.
Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 02:19:12 am »
Hi guys

I have tried all the suggestions but I can still not see the AVWizard, short of dumping a perfectly good 8800gts card are there any other options that I could try?

UPDATE

I tried the 7.10 RC1 DVD again but this time instead of finishing and ejecting the disk there was a flashing curser in the corner. I restarted the PC and it booted straight into the AVWizard but the resolution was only 640x480, it would not allow me to change the display properties. I booted into the LinuxMCE Mamager but the fonts were tiny and you could not read the text. It did download the updates and started the setup process. The fonts looked terrible so I decided to reinstall but I am now back to square one the next install finished correctly but still no display of the AVWizard.

Would it make any differece if I did the CD install and installed the NVDI restricted drivers before the install? Please help I want this to work so bad!

Thanks a million.

Paul

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:44:39 am by Pastor »

Pastor

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DVD install with NVDIA 8800GTS 320MB Card
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 01:45:09 am »
Please see update in post above.

Thanks

ItsManaged

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Blank Screen after start up - no beeps either!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 01:48:08 am »
...I'm trying to get LMCE 64bit to run on my nvidia 8600 GTS, but when press enter to start the DVD install, the screen goes blank and the TV displays a no signal message.  Not sure how to proceed.

Same here - My system is Intel Core2Duo with Asus 8600GT and installing LinuxMCE AMD64 7.10rc1 DVD version.
I've checked the Forum entry about this - I don't get any beeps (sound works ok with standard ubuntu live CD), no amount of pressing the shift key, holding it etc. as suggested to enable the AVWizard. So I can't see anything & can't hear anything. I don't think this is the 'non issue' referred to in the Forums / AVWizard Step by Step

Q: Any thoughts as to what stage the install may be reaching, or what else I could try from boot (perhaps some boot parameters?)
If the problem is video, I'll put in another video card and try that. Otherwise, go back to installing kubuntu and LinuxMCE from CD's, but as another contributor pointed out - the DVD is very convenient and neat!

Symptoms and observations
What I see is the kubuntu boot screen, after selecting 'install LinuxMCE' I get a blank screen. Hard disk / DVD is being read for a minute or two (seems to be copying stuff from DVD to HDD) then a blank screen with no activity.

Afer disk activity stops, if I hit <Enter> key I get some momentary disk activity. (Expecting Input I suspect - so it seems likely to be a video problem as suggested).

<Ctrl><Alt><Fn> won't give me a shell regardless of which <Fn> I press (F1, F2....F12), so there is nothing to see - can't get to logs, so I cannot tell how far it is getting with install.

Download ISO has been checked against MD5 checksum (This is the single layer image), multiple DVD's have been made (speed = X1) and give the same result so I am pretty confident the boot DVD is good.

In my particular circumstances, I think that video is alive - the backlight is on, though it does switch the video off (getting the "no video" message from the monitor), but soon after the backlight flickers back on, so i reckon video is there.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:26:18 am by ItsManaged »

ItsManaged

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 01:42:53 pm »
I'm guessing, but I think that if you 'blindly' (literally) follow the instructions for DVD install http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/DVD_Installation
then it will probably work.

I ended up installing kubuntu, then following the LMCE CD 1 & 2 install - will find out if this gets me to the other side....