Author Topic: Windows install  (Read 11589 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows install
« on: January 22, 2005, 09:58:21 pm »
Having downloaded the windows zip file and ran the dcerouter i get an error message saying could not connect to database. I assumed that this meant that the database did not exist in Mysql.

During Step 7 of the install I selected the auto install script and got bounced back to the main home page. So I went looking and found a reference to a link like http://plutohome.com/initialdata.php?code=xxxx&device=yyyy which gave me an sql script to populate my database. The only unfortunate thing was that it did not contain the necessary tables creation and thus failed.

The only other problem tht I encountered on windows was that the Zip file contained executables that required the debug versions of the msvcp71.dll, I got round this by copying the release version into the pluto folder and renaming it.

I hope you can get these things fixed as I think you have an excellent product here.
Ed.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows install
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 02:05:13 pm »
Hi Ed,

Up till now we have only focused on the Linux version.  Our retail product will be based on Linux because, for the consumer, it behaves more like an "appliance" than a computer.  Just like TiVo's and the other array of set top boxes built on Linux.  However, we wrote everything from the ground up to be multi-platform so htpc users who want a Windows pc can use it too.

Starting with this 2.0.0.7 build we have the automated build/propagate process working for Windows too.  And we have a new Windows installer that we will be releasing next Friday with the 2.0.0.8.  I would suggest waiting 1 week for 2.0.0.8--the install program will solve all those issues by automatically installing MySql, php, and the dozens of required libraries, and pre-populating all the databases.

Aaron

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 07:32:11 am »
Thanks for the help. I just wanted to try it out but i havn't got the spare equipment, without my wife getting very upset at loosing windows and all her stuff. :)

I agree linux is the way to go because you can tailor it to the job at hand instead of being multi purpose.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows Installer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:36:46 am »
Hi Ed,

The easiest way to setup a media director with windows applications is to use the installation wizard and choose the windows option. At the end of installation wizard, step 8/8, you will be able to use our PlutoHomeInstaller to download all the packages we need. PlutoHomeInstaller will get the latest packages and install them for you.

Regards,

Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows installer is somewhat lacking still
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 09:10:41 pm »
Hi,
  thanks, I ran the windows installer which downloaded a bunch of stuff and installed PHP etc but the DCERouter.exe shipped is still linked to the Debug versions of msvcr71d.dll and others.

I already had MySQL installed so i told the installer to skip that and is seems to have missed the database setup.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
creating the databases
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 10:38:32 pm »
Well, I tracked it down to the bat files in the database folder and then tried running them. This resulted in the error "cannot connect to database" and offered to take a username and password.
Which it then ignored and gave the same error.
A bit of investigation into sqlCVS and editing the bat files to include the hostname, user and password and they all worked ok.

This must be another difference between the hybrid version and dedicated Core.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows Installer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 08:58:45 am »
Hi Ed,

Can you please go into your temporary directory (use 'set' command and read TEMP=... line to find out where it is) and send us 'PlutoInstaller.log' and 'PlutoPackageList.txt' files to find out what went wrong and why?
Pluto Windows installer should install "winnetdlls" package which contains the debug version of .net mfc's dlls. Any failure is logged in 'PlutoInstaller.log'. Also, it should add 'mysql' to hosts file for 127.0.0.1 ip address and then run postinstall scripts from /pluto/databases folder against mysql server with the ip from hosts file.

Thank you.
Chris. M

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Email address
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 09:59:13 am »
Hi Ed,

Please send me those file to this address: chris.m at plutohome dot com. Thank you.

Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows installer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 01:25:45 pm »
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your mail. The issue with svn is now fixed. (the url to svn repository on our site was changed).
The problem with mysql, I think, it's related to mysql service. Was the mysql service started?
There were also some missing packages on the server, but you should be able to use the installer again tomorrow to have all working.

Regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows install
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 09:33:56 pm »
Well ,
  we are getting there slowly
the installer still had problems with subversion
Code: [Select]
svn co http://svn.plutohome.com/pluto/trunk/libs/CrossPlatform-Libs/freetype-2.1.9

should have been
svn co http://svn.plutohome.com/pluto/trunk/libs/CrossPlatform/freetype-2.1.9

I put together a batch file to fetch there missing packages and it seemed to work ok.

There is still a number of packages that are direct downloads that I cannot find. Most notably the Winnetdlls_7_1.zip

also when running the sqlcvs I noticed the error
"I cannot find the table referred to in the field: cannedevents:FK_Event
Caught exception: Bad Schema"

Is this to do with the fresh install or another bug ?

Ed.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows Installer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 02:49:56 pm »
Hi Ed,

We've just uploaded the latest version of our packages (10.0.0.13). The svn paths issue is now fixed and sdl-related packages and winnetdll are now at the right place.

For sqlCVS, the problem is a little complicated: sqlCVS uses libmySQL library to work with mysql and there is a bug with this version of libmySQL (it cannot create mixed case tables). So every time you will run in windows sqlCVS, the tables are not found because are lower case and sqlCVS will try to import again the database.

Regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows install
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 12:21:27 pm »
I also encountered the problem that the database pluto_main was not created, in it's place was pluto_local but this was empty.

The orbiter ran without complaints about missing Dll's so that's fixed.
When I changed the hostname on the orbiter to localhost the orbiter shutdown and restarted but the changes were not applied.

When I run the DCERouter it gives warnings that the database cannot be found so I used the command line parameters "-h localhost -u xxxx -p yyyy -D pluto_local"  and it found the database but could not identify it's device ID automatically.

When I specify the -d parameter it crashed and windows asked if I wanted to report an error.

The hostname 'dcerouter' could still not be resolved.

Should I have any more paths set up besides C:\pluto\bin, C:\pluto\libs  that settings are saved into?

Would it be productive to try and build everything from source code and understand the low down requirements for running pluto on windows.

Ed.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows installer
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 03:48:56 pm »
I also encountered the problem that the database pluto_main was not created, in it's place was pluto_local but this was empty.

Where was a problem in our postinstall scripts. (instead of pluto_local and pluto_system should be pluto_main).

The orbiter ran without complaints about missing Dll's so that's fixed.

2.0.0.14 version will have release version of our applications, so the user won't need mfc's debug dlls.

When I changed the hostname on the orbiter to localhost the orbiter shutdown and restarted but the changes were not applied.

Yes, we are aware of this bug. It's fixed in 2.0.0.14 version.

When I run the DCERouter it gives warnings that the database cannot be found so I used the command line parameters "-h localhost -u xxxx -p yyyy -D pluto_local" and it found the database but could not identify it's device ID automatically.
When I specify the -d parameter it crashed and windows asked if I wanted to report an error.

DCERouter needs pluto_main which wasn't created because of postinstall scripts issue. However, we'll need another postinstall script to insert the informations about current installation and its devices.

The hostname 'dcerouter' could still not be resolved.

If you are using the same computer to run dcerouter, the hosts file should have an entry like this "127.0.0.1    dcerouter". The installer doesn't do this yet. Use localhost for now.

Should I have any more paths set up besides C:\pluto\bin, C:\pluto\libs that settings are saved into?

No.

Regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows installer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 04:12:15 pm »
Hi Ed,

Unfortunately, we are still focused on the Linux version.
If you are interested, you can use svn to download all the source files like this :
Code: [Select]
svn co http://svn.plutohome.com/pluto/trunk/ c:/pluto/trunk
and run MakeRelease_Windows.bat script to build the applications.

I sent you a mail with our modified post install scripts, you can use them to import the database correctly. However, we didn't yet create a script to insert into the database the information about the current installation. In trunk/src/DCERouter you will find a post install script (mkr_postinst.sh) which does this in Linux. We need to create a batch for this to be executed in windows version too. You can use a windows bash interpreter like cygwin to run this scripts in windows.

Regards,
Chris. M