Author Topic: The 7.10 RC1 CD install script is borked, right?  (Read 2780 times)

jacisbac

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
The 7.10 RC1 CD install script is borked, right?
« on: April 28, 2008, 02:09:02 am »
So, I've installed Kubuntu 7.10 to a fresh 20Gb partition. I've downloaded both 710 b4 and RC1 and run the install with the same results.

After mounting the .iso files, I've installed the .deb package for the mce_installer. After clicking on the desktop icon, I continue to get the "command './mce-installer' not found" dialog box. Running the mce-installer.sh script from the command line does not seem to get me any further.

I've fiddled with the install script a bit and been able to get a little further. I'd rather no go into those details until I hear from someone who has successfully installed linuxmce using the 710 RC1 CD install.

All indications from reading this forum seem to indicate that quite a few have been successful using the CD install. Is that possible without modifications?

Toby

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: The 7.10 RC1 CD install script is borked, right?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:14:34 am »
I've installed b4 and RC1 both from CD a couple of times over the last week or so. I used the Kubuntu Alternate 7.10 CD if it matters (it was the easiest way to get LVM support). No problems on the install, didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary. Installed both i386 and amd64 versions.

I'm just confirming, since you seemed to be asking, that it does work for someone else. I more than likely can't help, seems how it took me the better part of a week to figure out the reason Diskless_Setup.sh kept failing was because the root partition was running out of space...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:15:24 pm »
Do _NOT_ use LVM on a LinuxMCE install!

The Storage radar will not properly detect and use the disk volume, and you will experience all sorts of little glitches as a result.

We need to add support for LVM in a future release.
-Thom

I've installed b4 and RC1 both from CD a couple of times over the last week or so. I used the Kubuntu Alternate 7.10 CD if it matters (it was the easiest way to get LVM support). No problems on the install, didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary. Installed both i386 and amd64 versions.

I'm just confirming, since you seemed to be asking, that it does work for someone else. I more than likely can't help, seems how it took me the better part of a week to figure out the reason Diskless_Setup.sh kept failing was because the root partition was running out of space...

jacisbac

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 02:30:17 am »
Toby, thanks for your response. Did you burn the disks or do the command line install by mounting the .iso files? I've tried both and I still get the same error.

When I run the install scripts from the command line, I end up with this:

./mce-installer-user: symbol lookup error: /tmp/selfextract.aU5725/libvte.so.9: undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl

Anybody have any idea what this could mean?

BTW, I've run md5sums on my .iso downloads so I am getting good downloads.

The install documentation here:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installation_Guide

mentions placing the CD in the drive and it will "autostart." That's not true, is it? It will automount but there's nothing there that will start an install, right?