Author Topic: dualview?  (Read 3263 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
dualview?
« on: April 26, 2008, 12:40:32 pm »
I am preparing to give Linuxmce a try. So far I would like to use a hybrid system. I would hook up my soundsystem to the box, which shouldn't be a problem. However I would also connect my projector via DVI on one port and a monitor via DVI to the other port of my graphicscard. The projector has a native resolution of 1024x768 and the monitor (Viewsonic VX2835wm) has 1900x1200. Primarily I want to use the monitor as a TV-replacement. In my understanding they should be working with their native resolutions. So I'm wondering if Linuxmce is able to discover and use the displays, if they are not present all the time, since I will switch them off, if not in use.

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: dualview?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:59:49 pm »
out of the box LMCE cant use dualview

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »
well...any suggestions? besides..if the driver supports the feature...I believe kbuntu does too...

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:13:53 pm »
You might get away with sending the 1900x1200 res signal to the projector, most new projectors have onboard scaling, but you need to check what modes your projector supports before doing that.

I've not played with dual screen stuff in a few years on linux so not sure what options there are now.
It use to be that you could use either xinearma to make apps support the extra screen or the nvidia drivers have twin-view which can drive the screens.
I've used a plasam screen and a projector via a video switch and that worked ok. system was set to out put a 720p screen and i just hit a button when i wanted to use the projector.
A software solution would be better but a video switch is a fail safe solution if its a must have for you.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 01:12:09 am »
hmm...okay..I guess I'll play around with kubuntu only for starters...
thanks anyways