Author Topic: Linksys WVC200 Camera  (Read 6213 times)

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Linksys WVC200 Camera
« on: April 24, 2008, 10:20:33 pm »
Hello All,

I've installed a Linksys WVC200 IP Camera following the instructions of the "IP Cameras" topic on the documentation, but haven't got it to work so far. Googleing for tips I've found its proper URLs at the Ubuntu forum:

http://<camera_ip>/img/video.asf, or
http://<camera_ip>/img/mjpeg.cgi

Both URLs work fine in VideoLAN and MPlayer. Any tips to get this camera working under the orbiter would be very appreciated.

TIA,

Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Linksys WVC200 Camera
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:38:39 pm »
Hi,

can you give more details ? Content of /etc/motion files, what exactly you did, which instructions you followed, etc...

Giving help on "doesn't work" without any details is a bit hard..

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 02:50:12 am »
someone will correct me here if I'm wrong as I haven't played with IP cameras yet - but I thought that LMCE only "played with" cameras that have a URL to still images (that are updated regularly) - it looks like you are pointing it to a video stream which is a different thing altogether...

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:28:14 pm »
Hello Bulek,

(...)
can you give more details ? Content of /etc/motion files, what exactly you did, which instructions you followed, etc...
(...)

I agree... <G>. Here goes the details:

- Lenovo P4 1.4GHz - 1GB RAM - 150GB SATA HD - GeForce 8500GT 512MB - LG Flatron L1740PQ - LMCE 7.10 B4
- Linksys WVC200 V1.1 IP Camera

After the initial difficulties for a Linux newbie I've finally got LMCE running in UI2 and the KDE fonts problem resolved. Next I decided to add the camera device to the orbiter (core/hybrid). Before proceeding, I successfully tested the camera connection in both MPlayer and VideoLAN, using a variety of URL strings. Then I followed exactly the instructions in the IP Cameras chapter of the documentation (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/IP_Cameras). After regenerating the orbiter, a "HVC200" (the camera name I've given) item was added to the Security menu.

When I click this HVC200 item, a transparent blue background with a darker centered rectangle screen is shown. It has also the name of the room at the top, the camera control buttons and the title "Single camera view" at the bottom, and the Exit button at the top right corner. Nothing happens then: no image and no error message.

The /etc/motion directory contains two files: motion.conf and thread0.conf. I've opened both files, but don't know what to do next.

Thanks for your reply,

Marcos

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:58:09 pm »
someone will correct me here if I'm wrong as I haven't played with IP cameras yet - but I thought that LMCE only "played with" cameras that have a URL to still images (that are updated regularly) - it looks like you are pointing it to a video stream which is a different thing altogether...

I'm interested in a reaply to this question too...

Thanks for the tip,

Marcos

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 10:48:40 am »
Hello Bulek,

(...)
(...)

I agree... <G>. Here goes the details:

- Lenovo P4 1.4GHz - 1GB RAM - 150GB SATA HD - GeForce 8500GT 512MB - LG Flatron L1740PQ - LMCE 7.10 B4
- Linksys WVC200 V1.1 IP Camera

After the initial difficulties for a Linux newbie I've finally got LMCE running in UI2 and the KDE fonts problem resolved. Next I decided to add the camera device to the orbiter (core/hybrid). Before proceeding, I successfully tested the camera connection in both MPlayer and VideoLAN, using a variety of URL strings. Then I followed exactly the instructions in the IP Cameras chapter of the documentation (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/IP_Cameras). After regenerating the orbiter, a "HVC200" (the camera name I've given) item was added to the Security menu.

When I click this HVC200 item, a transparent blue background with a darker centered rectangle screen is shown. It has also the name of the room at the top, the camera control buttons and the title "Single camera view" at the bottom, and the Exit button at the top right corner. Nothing happens then: no image and no error message.

The /etc/motion directory contains two files: motion.conf and thread0.conf. I've opened both files, but don't know what to do next.

Thanks for your reply,

Marcos
Hi,

what I'd to first:
- check you URLs - AFAIK motion only works with links that give static snapshots... There is a fair chance of possibility to get out static images...

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8150&highlight=wvc200

Correction: It seems that motion can connect to mjpeg stream also : http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/CaptureDeviceOptions , so I advice to try mjpeg URL....

- try to snap picture with wget and check it...

While searching got to some interesting topic - maybe someday, they'll have to open their firmware cause I bet it's based on Linux and then you can download your own firmware....

Please try to do it with mjpeg url and let us know what happens. In case of problems, maybe you post content of those config files you mentioned... There will be probably other users with similar problem on newer cameras, so it could be useful to update Wiki also...

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:58:10 am by bulek »
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.