Author Topic: Issues with 0710 RC  (Read 33678 times)

posde

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Issues with 0710 RC - DVD not working
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 03:08:51 pm »
Some previously (LinuxMCE-)ripped DVDs no longer play. I see the first selection screen for the language, right after choosing a language, the movie stops. Playing some others work without issues.

rgds
Oliver

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with 0710 RC
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 06:21:12 pm »
SMK IR Receiver/Transmitter doesn't work! This is the version come with PVR-150 MCE.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Issues with 0710 RC - DVD not working
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 08:12:32 pm »
Some previously (LinuxMCE-)ripped DVDs no longer play. I see the first selection screen for the language, right after choosing a language, the movie stops. Playing some others work without issues.

rgds
Oliver

Sounds like libdvdcss is not installed... the disc is failing when the MD tries to play the first encrypted part of the DVD.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
Convergent Home Technologies Ltd
United Kingdom

Read My Blog; http://ellipticalcurve.com

Contact me for Smart Home consulting advice here;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+consulting@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get a Dianemo S License: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8880.0
iOS Orbiter: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_iOS_Orbiter
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

Sales & Info:
http://www.dianemo.co.uk

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2008, 08:31:03 pm »
I've been digging on a similar issue where the ripped dvds do not play because of copy protection.  The symptom is the same.  One note I read that might be causing the problem you are seeing is that DTS or AC3 audio is not configured correctly (or the dvd has a copy protection scheme in the audio track according on one post).  One thing to try is to select a two channel audio option from the dvd menu.  If this lets the movie play, then try again with the higher audio and then check the logs for xine error messages.

HTH,
Roy

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2008, 08:34:46 pm »
I've been digging on a similar issue where the ripped dvds do not play because of copy protection.  The symptom is the same.  One note I read that might be causing the problem you are seeing is that DTS or AC3 audio is not configured correctly (or the dvd has a copy protection scheme in the audio track according on one post).  One thing to try is to select a two channel audio option from the dvd menu.  If this lets the movie play, then try again with the higher audio and then check the logs for xine error messages.

HTH,
Roy

Hmmm... that is possible I guess. Although I have to say that we have found no such problems in our DVD testing of the 0710. There are some DVD's like Spiderman 3 which fail... but they always have failed. We have not seen any new failures or any failures relating to playing previously ripped DVD's in rc1

It would be interesting to know which discs failed...

Andrew
Andy Herron,
Convergent Home Technologies Ltd
United Kingdom

Read My Blog; http://ellipticalcurve.com

Contact me for Smart Home consulting advice here;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+consulting@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get a Dianemo S License: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8880.0
iOS Orbiter: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_iOS_Orbiter
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

Sales & Info:
http://www.dianemo.co.uk

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2008, 10:39:39 pm »
This is digressing from the original topic, but to answer Andrew, in my case, what happened is that when a LMCE rip failed, I then ripped the file using k3b on my workstation.  Some of these files are having the described playback problem.  Here's two movies that this happened with back on beta 3:  "Click" (ARccOS) and  Disney's original "The Shaggy Dog".  Other movies failing LMCE 0710 beta 4 ripping include "The Break-up" (ARccOS), "Kate & Leopold", "Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason", & "Becoming Jane" (yes, I've been ripping my wife's movies the past couple of days).

I've tried ddrescue, vlc, & DVDFab HD Decrypter on "Click" without luck so far.

I've just completed downloading RC1 so will install that today...

Hopefully posde can reply with the list of problem movies...

Have fun,
Roy

Domodude

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 07:37:42 am »
RC1 is looking great!

One interesting bit of text I found was in the PBX manual setup frontend (FreePBX). It says under Module Administration:

"NOTICE: You are running an un-supported pre-release of an old un-maintained version. You should update your system to a supported platform."

Also, there are several write permission problems with FreePBX. I am not sure if all this is essential for linuxMCE.

Again, great job with RC1.

Mark

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 08:53:25 am »
Howdy,

I noticed what looks like a new feature with RC1.  When ripping a dvd, LMCE reported that there might be a scratch and it would zero fill and that ripping might take a day to complete.  Any idea what is going on?  Is ripping now falling back on error to something like ddrescue?  Just curious.

TIA,
Roy

nicola

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2008, 09:22:30 am »
I tried to upgrade from web using the script.
It tells that he try to connect as anonymous but the login is not correct.
Any idea?

Thanks in advance

chekgiau

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 09:13:36 am »
I installed RC1 on MSI K9NGM3-DH with CDs. The mce-installer script seems to have removed the nvidia driver installation step from that of the Beta4. Although the nvidia driver was installed nonetheless, the driver did not work. As a work around, I ran Beta4 installer to the point reload after nvidia driver installation and run the RC1 installer after that. The result is good but the response time of the GUI seems to be slower than that of Beta4 and the KDE desktop shows up longer between screen changes. Also, even though audio is normal during the AVWizard stage, I had to raise the otherwise nil "Front" audio volume under KMix in order to hear audio played by LinuxMCE incorporated applications.

chekgiau

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 11:44:56 am »
With admin website, Advanced->Configuration->UPnP Server only works if the website is launched as 192.168.80.1 instead of 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 01:24:08 pm »
domodude,
I had posted about that a while ago, when I first install b3.  I never got an answer (and have never gotten the voip working) but now I am glad to see that I am not the only one! 

One small thing that I have noticed is that when manually inserting coverart using the 'apply to all files in this directory' feature, I am able to upload it from a file but not using the URL, in other words it does not download the jpg from the web address.   If I download the coverart to my desktop first and then use 'choose file' it works just fine.
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

struggler

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 12:51:27 am »
Hello,
I'm a linuxmce user since version 0704 and now I've installed the 0710RC1 on a staging server and I'm having the following situation:
I've setup everything and when I was starting to think "boy, this is a good release" I found that whenever I playback my movies I can't ear the sound tracks, instead I get a weird sound like static, or imagine you are listening a sound reproduction with 1000% distortion, I'm afraid I can't explain better than this.

During video & audio setup all sound tests run ok, music and mythtv also perfect, is really just my movies :(

Don't know what to do. My sound card is a ADI AD1988B 8-Channel(S/PDIF) and is onboard on a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe.

Thank's
JD

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 03:01:06 am »
Howdy,

I had a really weird problem yesterday.  Basically RC1 just locked up.  Screensaver froze.  Could not switch to another screen.  Could not ssh to the box.  Box was not routing.  So bit the bullet and reset power.  After the Kubuntu progress bar nothing on the display, the TV reported no signal.  Turned on the monitor on the other video port, nothing.  Could not ssh into the box.  OK, power cycle again this time with second monitor on.  When it gets to the point where X should be starting the secondary monitor goes to text mode garbage and nothing appears on the TV.  Still can't ssh into the box.  Other systems can't get a dynamic IP.  The core/hybrid is not routing.  So bit the bullet again and did a re-install of RC1.  Choose to keep system settings.  System came up eventually.  Everything except installed software (decss & w32codec) was restored (that's pretty cool - thanks guys!).

If this happens again, any suggestions on how to postmortem debug?

The only thing I did different between RC1 and the betas is I installed on a smaller hard drive (36GB raptor instead of 500GB).

TIA,
Roy

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 06:07:49 am »
Roy,

Did you completely fill up your filesystem perhaps? A completely full filesystem could give the symptoms that you had. I get orbiter warnings when my disk space is low, so I would have assumed that you would have got these, did you?
If that was the problem then the next thing is working out why, the usual culprits are runaway log files. The two times I have had a filesystem fill up unexpectingly were both caused by MythTV. One was logging the other was a zombie mythtvfrontend process that was recording continually.

HTH
Darren