Author Topic: Issues with 0710 RC  (Read 34915 times)

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with 0710 RC
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2008, 06:54:38 am »
A little more detail.

I had been ripping dvds for several days (~ 10/day) and watching one an evening.  I had started a rip a few minutes before I noticed the lockup.  I was using my nokia n800 as the orbiter with the TV off.  I did not see any low disk warnings.  My usual procedure is to start a rip, then monitor the progress screen.  The nokia's screen blanks, then when I notice the dvd is not making any sounds, I tap the nokia to see the rip complete or failed status.  This time the orbiter disconnected and I couldn't get it to reconnect.  Then I noticed the nokia wasn't connected to the network, then when I tried to tell it to connect, it couldn't get an IP address, so I then turned on the TV and saw the core/hybrid flickr screensaver was locked.  There was not a low disk message on the TV.

So it is possible that I missed one of the upper left corner pop ups.  It's also possible I missed a full screen pop up if it had a limited display time.

I haven't got mythtv working with hdhomerun on RC1 yet.  It did not work out of the box and is very low priority for me to investigate.

BTW, I was not storing any media on the 36GB drive (media is stored onto a 1TB drive in the core and on two NFS shares (3 TB and 2TB).

I think I'll add a remote monitor/logger so I can keep an eye on the core/hybrid's disk usage from my workstation.

Thank you,
Roy

GasVe

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2008, 04:06:35 pm »
Hi:
     After I have made a fresh installation of 710 RC1 and recovered my dvix files including their subtitles, they don't work anymore  :( , as expected, when I try to play a file dvix file I got the message "File Not Found" but the file is there, the only workaround that I found is to rename or delete the subtitle file and after this I am able to play the dvix file, but with not subtitles.
     Any clues where I can look to check it and better to fix it.

Cheers

GasVe

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 02:02:52 am »
mythtv verison is way to old
my backend speaks version 40 and your systems speaks protocol version 31.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 02:13:14 am »
And that has relevance, why?

Please keep in mind that our development team leader is one of the core MythTV developers...

-Thom

cybernard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 02:26:04 am »
----Quote------------
--End Quote--------

Mythbackend on another computer(using protocol version 40)  has 1100GB (not MB) of media files that I would like view, but the mythtv frontend in LinuxMCE can only speak version 31.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 06:58:26 am »
I'm sure it's too late now as I see the final has been released...

It appears the AMD64 version has issues playing H.264 videos.  An informal thread in the users forum asking about who does and who does not have issues seems to show a pattern.  The green blocks growing from the left side of the screen went away somewhere around 710b3 for i386 users, matching the change log notice of upgrading lmce to the latest version of xine.  However, up through R1, the AMD64 version still has the green blocks making H.264 videos pretty much useless. 

Another annoyance..  I upgraded from B3 to R1 (AMD64), and while the install found my previous install and I selected the option to keep /home and the settings, it wiped everything out.  Video settings, TV settings, Myth, static IP settings (which I had to manually fix before any of my computers could get back on the internet), resolv.conf, my non-lmce server apps such as postfix and dns..  All gone.  Some of this may be related to the fact that the first attempt at installation hung at "update-initramfs: ...." and I had to reboot and start again.  After unplugging my external USB drive the second install went fine (other than wiping everything out).  I was careful and selected the keep settings and /home option both times.  I'm not sure if having the USB drive connected is what caused the install to hang, but on the second attempt without the drive the install went through nice and quick.

struggler

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »
Hello,
I'm a linuxmce user since version 0704 and now I've installed the 0710RC1 on a staging server and I'm having the following situation:
I've setup everything and when I was starting to think "boy, this is a good release" I found that whenever I playback my movies I can't ear the sound tracks, instead I get a weird sound like static, or imagine you are listening a sound reproduction with 1000% distortion, I'm afraid I can't explain better than this.

During video & audio setup all sound tests run ok, music and mythtv also perfect, is really just my movies :(

Don't know what to do. My sound card is a ADI AD1988B 8-Channel(S/PDIF) and is onboard on a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe.

Thank's
JD

I found the solution for the above issue.
If you similar problem go to the pluto-admin website under "Wizard:Devices:Media Directors" set the audio to "Manual settings" with "AC3 pass-through" checked for the desired Media Director.

jamieaus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2008, 04:28:45 am »
Hi

I have a Asus M2N-MX-SE motherboard that linuxmce 0704 detected the soundcard for only in stereo mode it never detected in digital, this Linux 0710 RC does not detect my soundcard at all.

Other than that everything seems to work fine.

A Standard definition wide screen setting would be nice.

Keep up the good work

Jamie.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 05:59:13 pm »
I'm sure it's too late now as I see the final has been released...

It appears the AMD64 version has issues playing H.264 videos.  An informal thread in the users forum asking about who does and who does not have issues seems to show a pattern.  The green blocks growing from the left side of the screen went away somewhere around 710b3 for i386 users, matching the change log notice of upgrading lmce to the latest version of xine.  However, up through R1, the AMD64 version still has the green blocks making H.264 videos pretty much useless. 

I reinstalled with the final i386 version.  The green blocks are still there with H.264 videos.

With the install of i386 my USBUIRT does not transmit (or not correctly).  It lights up as if it does, but a different IR receiver does not pick up any signal, and it is not controlling the devices it was under AMD64.

skerit

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2008, 06:27:23 pm »
Did anything change between the RC1 and the final release? Because I never upgraded my core, and when I try to do it now it says nothing needs updating ...

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2008, 12:44:32 am »
Did anything change between the RC1 and the final release? Because I never upgraded my core, and when I try to do it now it says nothing needs updating ...

You might try this page for info ;-)

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Version_0710

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
Convergent Home Technologies Ltd

Read My Blog; http://ellipticalcurve.com

Contact me for Smart Home consulting advice here;
@herron on Twitter, inquiries@ellipticalcurve.com via email or PM me here.

Get a Dianemo License: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8880.msg100221#msg100221
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

Sales & Info:
http://www.dianemo.co.uk

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2008, 11:41:42 am »
I tried a 2CD based upgrade from RC1 to RC2 last night. The install seemed to hang on generating mdadm.conf (I don't have any sort of a raid set-up), I started it last night and it was still stuck on that this morning. I ran dmesg to see if anything had died during the night and it reported too many open files and the system was very sluggish. I've shut it down now but I'll try the install again later.
Anyone any clue what could cause the hang?

btw - should the core and md services be stopped before running the install script? or does it detect them running and handle it itself?

thanks
-Coley.

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with 0710 RC - System Locking Up
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 06:00:50 am »
Downloaded and installed LinuxMCE 0710 RC2 and configured MD

System Config (Core)

Mobo:  ASUS P5N-D
CPU:    Intel 775 Chip 2.4 G
Mem:   2 Gb
H/D:    5 @ 500 Gb
Optical:  Phillips DVD Lightscribe
Networ:  2 Gb Etho
DHCP - Enabled  (192.168.0.2 Eth0; 192.168.80.2 Eth1)

System Cofig (MD)

ASUS P-5945G Barebones
CPU:  Intel 775 (same as aboove)
Graphics:  Geoforce 6200 XFX
Mem:  2 Gb
Optical:  Phillips DVD Lightscribe
Mouse/
Keyboard:  Go Gyration
Sound:  Digital Output

MD WebAdmin Config:  OS/ Windows - Video - Geoforce -

Any help would be appreciated.

Router:  DLink Wireless - connected to Cable Modem (no dhcp)

Switch:  14 Port Gb - Cat5 throughout home (Eth0 connected)

Problems solved: 

Black Screen at MD Startup - Took a while to get MD configured with the black screen, but discovered through reading lots of forum posts that the initial screen goes black and all I had to do was select the correct output and then screen displayed:

Dolby & DTS output MD - Also discovered that althought I could hear all the sound when configuring the AV wizard, when I tried to play any DVD file (other than the demo that is installed to the system) I could not hear the movie, instead I got the Modem or Static type noise as if a blackberry was too close to the phone (if you know what I mean).    FIX:  Changed the Audio output on the LinuxMCE Launch Manager in KDE to Manual (can't believe it was that simple, another post similar gave this fix).

Problems persist:

Core - System locks up multiple time a day.  No changes made to the core install other than MD setup and a couple of DVD's and the system locks up (today it did about 4 times).  Very troublesome.  I've looked at the logs in KDE - however there is no boot log created and I don't know how to do that or if I should. 

Q.  Any sugesstions on how to troubleshoot these issues ?
        Q.  Do I need to have a boot log ?  If, how do I do that or is there a location with instructions on how to do that ?  It would really help.  I'll keep searching the Net until I find something.

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 10:01:08 pm »
Just to followup my last post.

I changed the DHCP from Static to DHCP receive from the router and the system appears to stabilize for about an hour or two.  still investigating.   When changed to be the DHCP serrver it crashes within 15 mins.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 11:34:27 am »
----Quote------------
--End Quote--------

Mythbackend on another computer(using protocol version 40)  has 1100GB (not MB) of media files that I would like view, but the mythtv frontend in LinuxMCE can only speak version 31.
What version of Mythtv is LinuxMCE 0710RC2 using?

All I can find in the release notes, is:
"Latest mythtv packages and fixes for lmce mythtv stuff"

I tried Mythbuntu 8.04 just for fun, and found a few things that made Mythtv a whole lot better for my use...More specifically multi channels from single DVB card and Channel logo scanner.  After finding those options I reinstalled my LinuxMCE server to have a fresh setup for installing the Mythtv route instead of VDR, only to find that those options are not there...

I then tried to find out if those options where spesific addons for Mythbuntu or a beta release of Mythtv and found that these options are from the latest stable release of Mythtv v0.21. This was released March 8. 2008.

This is from the 0.21 changelog:
Released 8th March 2008

These are the changes in the 0.21 release of MythTV. Some of these changes, most notably the fixes, have been backported to the 0.20.2 release.

Release notes updated through revision [16468]

Major changes

* Added Storage Groups. This allows multiple recording directories, where each storage group is a list of directories.
    * Added Watch List feature to Watch Recordings listing programs most useful to watch in order to catch up on series and shows you have fallen behind in watching.
    * Added support for QAM recording using HDHomeRun device. Requires firmware 21-09-2006 or newer (Note this was also back ported to 0.20.2).
    * New official plugins:
          o MythMovies: provides show times and cinema listings based on Zip/Post code and a given radius.
          o MythZoneMinder: ZoneMinder is a system for monitoring CCTV cameras. It uses a web interface which doesn't work very well on a MythTV only system so the plugin provides a remote friendly interface to some of the functions provided by ZM.
    * Added auto discovery of MythTV servers/frontends
    * Reduced mythfrontend memory consumption by upto 75% depending on theme and resolution.
    * requires MySQL 5.0
    * Allows multiple recordings with one DVB/ATSC card if the channels are in the same multiplex (Multirec)
    * Enhancements for multi channel audio (up-converting stereo, re-encoding to AC3 in time stretch mode)
    * Added the ability to continue playing music in the background.
    * Added a channel icon download facility to mythtv-setup.