Author Topic: Office core problems, without using DHCP  (Read 2256 times)

Codad

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Office core problems, without using DHCP
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:20:14 pm »
Here at the office we've got several fileservers set up with all our media, however we depend on static IP's to keep track of all of our equipment so DHCP isn't an option. My problem is that after following the guide to manually add a network share, if I'm lucky it shows one random video out of the hundreds and the next time I click video's its gone... or a different one is in it's place.

Is there a command that needs to be run to index all of the files?

Is a single NIC w/ no DHCP just to much hassle to be worth it?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Office core problems, without using DHCP
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:52 am »
Codad - it could be any number of different things....

First - UpdateMedia is a process that runs regularly and scans any media folders that have been added for new/updated/deleted media. If you only have a small amount of media this will happen within a couple of minutes and populate your database. At that point you should be able to see all your media. If you have a lot of media - particularly if there is a very large folder - it will take longer, as it only writes the things it finds into the database after scanning a folder.

If you go to the web admin, Media File Sync menu, you can navigate to the folder and force a sync in the foreground - that way you can see when it completes and updates the database. Check at the end of the log window and make sure it isn't saying that your device is offline. Alternatively, look in the properties of the share at the bottom of the page - is the Online tick box ticked?

If not, and the log window says the device is offline then that is the issue - even if your database is populated, if it thinks the device is offline it will not display your media. I have had issues where only a random sample of media appears shortly after adding a share, and each time I go in it is a different set (or single file) from many, and eventually they disappear altogether. In that instance, the database was populated, but it thought the device was offline so didn't display the media. This was a file share protocol issue. but check the other stuff first, and maybe look in Media File Sync as well to determine if the media is actually in the database or not (should be a big tick graphic next to each item)

Codad

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:12:08 am »
Thank you very much for you post. I abused the search function and googled the heck outa this. I did eventually figure out how to manually sync the files, which at first failed cause the shares weren't checked online. Fixed that, then it said the device wasn't online when it clearly was and it could see the filenames. I found a thread here by Zaerc that offered a potential fix that could be run with a provided script... however the site that hosted the mini patch is no longer online. He did also suggest switching the filesystem to smbfs  which I did and that finally allowed me to scan my media (still going 6 hours later)

The learning curve on this is pretty nasty, I'll probably be back here before to long. Thanks again though for the help.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:41:39 am »
smbfs was the protocol issue I was talking about. btw, the tick box for Online isn't something you can just tick (although it lets you!) it is really just indicating what the status is. If there is a problem, it will just go offline again within seconds - its more if there isn't a problem and you just want to manually mark a share offline.

Note - I have had problems with both cifs and sbmfs, the cifs one took 5 weeks to get resolved! With smbfs, there are instances were it freezes linux for about 10-20 second during video playback pretty much randomly. I had to switch back to cifs (which mysteriously was working again with the share online!), but then that failed again I went back to smbfs and the freezing issue had gone away. Hoping that side of it is a bit more stable in the release version...

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 11:56:17 am »
Note - I have had problems with both cifs and sbmfs, the cifs one took 5 weeks to get resolved! With smbfs, there are instances were it freezes linux for about 10-20 second during video playback pretty much randomly. I had to switch back to cifs (which mysteriously was working again with the share online!), but then that failed again I went back to smbfs and the freezing issue had gone away. Hoping that side of it is a bit more stable in the release version...

Just a point of reference, NFS shares have been extremely stable on beta 3.  I just installed beta 4 two days ago and perfectly stable so far.  Note, you do have to manually add NFS shares via the admin pages.  The wiki has good instructions on the Network Attached Storage page.

BTW, I use a kubuntu 0710 workstation with an LVM volume (consisting of 3 x 1TB drives) exported.  I just set up a RAID5 volume (3 x 1TB) on a gentoo ~x86 box as a second NFS server.  So far so good.

HTH,
Roy