Author Topic: Adding an NTFS HDD with media to Core/Hybrid -Media not displayed in LMCE!  (Read 6991 times)

gunsmoke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Finaly seem to have my installation working as a core/hybrid :)

So I added my Windows XP NTFS SATA 500GB media HDD, with mp3, mpeg2, avi, divx files. It installs in LMCE, I choose LMCE file structure and Public. Waited until LMCE states that finish installing new device, and did a reboot. Checked for Video and Audio in the UI2 GUI, but nothing is displayet.

When I go into KDE Desktop GUI, I can play all the media files, and copy them over to the core HDD Home folder, but nothing is displayed in LMCE.... :-\

From KDE Desktop:

And I can transfer to HOME:

But not to Root:

My Specs:
200GB IDE HDD Core/Hybrid installed
500GB SATA HDD NTFS media files
2 Nic's GBits installed.
No MD installed

I have read many topics on this but haven't found any fiks, only that it should be possible:

Presumably since your 300GB drive came from a Windows machine it is currently formatted NTFS... which means it will be read only (but mountable).
Ref link:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2305.0

Please advise ;)
HTPC HARDWARE: Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H, Onboard video 9400, mATX, Socket LGA775. Intel Core2 Duo E8400. Samsung SpinPoint SATA2 HD 1000GB. Corsair 2x2GB DDR2. NEC DVD+/-RW ND4551A. Seasonic S12-330; +3.3v/20A. BIOS: v3.7

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Move your files to the appropriate lmce directories under /mnt/device/34/public/data/ (audio/video/etc.).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

gunsmoke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Move your files to the appropriate lmce directories under /mnt/device/34/public/data/ (audio/video/etc.).

Thanks for your replay Zaerc, appreciate it :)

Can I do this in the KDE Desktop enviroment?
HTPC HARDWARE: Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H, Onboard video 9400, mATX, Socket LGA775. Intel Core2 Duo E8400. Samsung SpinPoint SATA2 HD 1000GB. Corsair 2x2GB DDR2. NEC DVD+/-RW ND4551A. Seasonic S12-330; +3.3v/20A. BIOS: v3.7

gunsmoke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Ok that worket, if I copy the media files to the Core 200GB HDD /mnt/device/34/public/data/. So this is the way to go then? No chanse to get it working tru the 500GB NTFS HDD?

This mean that I should transfer all the media to the Core HDD 200GB, I must get me a bigger HDD then :o

In KDE I now get an error when I try to access the NTFS 500GB drive:
hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused uid 1000

and it kind of blinks in the GUI, and after a wile it gets on again. The Green symbol is also gone :-\

And then Dolphin crashed...

Does this indicate that LMCE does not like the NTFS partitions, or do I have an more serious matter going on?

Thanks again for helping me on this, I am still a noob in handling LMCE, but I am getting there  ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:14:02 pm by gunsmoke »

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Maybe a symbolic link

gunsmoke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Maybe a symbolic link

Could you give me som details on what a symbloic link is, please.

romile

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile

To get the disk to mount in KDE try: right click on the drive, select Properties -> Mounting, and uncheck "Mount as user".

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
EDIT: Never mount disks manually in LMCE, you will screw up its auto discovery mechanism (orionsune: yes, I know unless you know exactly what you are doing and can compensate! but that is clearly not the case here)

----------------------------------------

That is not what Zaerc meant, re-read his comment.

He is not saying move your files to the core HDD, he is saying move them to the correct folder on your NTFS drive.

Have you read what is meant by - use LMCE folder structure? It means that there is a set folder structure that LMCE uses to store all its media. I won't explain why, you can find that easily enough on the wiki, except to say it allows you to transparently combine all your media from different sources in different MDs as one single simple folder structure.

LMCE 0710 can happily mount and read/write NTFS, so don't worry about that.

You will find that as you didn't already have the correct LMCE folder structure on your NTFS HDD, LMCE has now created one for you:

public/data/audio|video|documents|pictures &
user_1/data/audio|video|documents|pictures &
user_2/data/audio|video|documents|pictures

LMCE will only look in those last folders for its media and ignore anything else on the HDD. There are other ways of doing this in LMCE - don't use them! This is the best way of doing it.

Simply move your video files under public|video, audio files under public|audio, and so on.

Either wait for LMCE scan them itself, or manually trigger a scan in the admin console.

PS - now you have copied at least some of your media to the core HDD, they will be in the media database, and so when you move them to the correct location, you will end up with duplicate media. You need to use the admin web site, Media File Sync menu - find the ones on the core and delete them using the web site (NOT KDE) to ensure that you clean up the database at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:54:45 am by colinjones »

gunsmoke

• Veteran
    • View Profile

To get the disk to mount in KDE try: right click on the drive, select Properties -> Mounting, and uncheck "Mount as user".

Tried that but I get this message:
Mountpoint has to be below /media

gunsmoke

• Veteran
    • View Profile

That is not what Zaerc meant, re-read his comment.

He is not saying move your files to the core HDD, he is saying move them to the correct folder on your NTFS drive.

Have you read what is meant by - use LMCE folder structure? It means that there is a set folder structure that LMCE uses to store all its media. I won't explain why, you can find that easily enough on the wiki, except to say it allows you to transparently combine all your media from different sources in different MDs as one single simple folder structure.

LMCE 0710 can happily mount and read/write NTFS, so don't worry about that.

You will find that as you didn't already have the correct LMCE folder structure on your NTFS HDD, LMCE has now created one for you:

public/data/audio|video|documents|pictures &
user_1/data/audio|video|documents|pictures &
user_2/data/audio|video|documents|pictures

LMCE will only look in those last folders for its media and ignore anything else on the HDD. There are other ways of doing this in LMCE - don't use them! This is the best way of doing it.

Simply move your video files under public|video, audio files under public|audio, and so on.

Either wait for LMCE scan them itself, or manually trigger a scan in the admin console.

PS - now you have copied at least some of your media to the core HDD, they will be in the media database, and so when you move them to the correct location, you will end up with duplicate media. You need to use the admin web site, Media File Sync menu - find the ones on the core and delete them using the web site (NOT KDE) to ensure that you clean up the database at the same time.

Yeah, Aureka, Wounderbaum, tears of joy :o And he went out of the darkness and into the light :D

Thanks for good teaching Zaerc and colinjones ;)

Now I understand how LMCE is using the file structure. I see now that I have read about this in the Wike earlier, but I didn't connect the dots properly.... cause this is a new way of looking at file managing for me I guess! Thanks again for for pointing this out to me :)

By the way, think I have some other folder issue that I don't quite understand. It's presumable connected to the root access in KDE; I am not able to create folders under  root/usr(due to installing java to display the web pages properly). Neither can I store my window folder setting, after changing the layout under View Properties in Dolpin. Further I am also denied to copy files(a .jpg screenprint) from Home to a USB thumb drive. On the Properties for the USB drive, I see that Group and Others, only have Can View Content. If I try to change this to include Modify Content I get Access denied...

After searching the forum I found a topic that Zaerc wrote as an replay: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2025.0
The root password is disabeled.  Use "sudo" from a normal user account to do things as root.

But I don't see if this can help me with my folders issue in KDE.... ???

Please adwise :)