Author Topic: Installing LinuxMCE  (Read 5350 times)

xinix00

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Installing LinuxMCE
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:01:51 pm »
Just downloaded LinuxMCE, but wanted to do something "strange" with it. I already have a server up and running (debian 4.0), also have a Haupauge 150 tuner card. What I wanted to do is:

Get my non gui Debian server, insert the tuner card, install the LinuxMCE Core, because the PC isn't attached to any device (such as monitor).

Then install LinuxMCE (using the install cd) on my 3 "media extenders". Is this possible? And where can I donwload the LinuxMCE Core to install on my Debian server, searched on the internet, didn't find anything. I know it is possible to reinstall my server, but I don't want a GUI and don't want to reinstall (if it isn't necessary).

Can someone help me out? Or is this possible :)? (If I need to clarify parts, please tell, English isn't my native language, so I'm not that good explaining). Thanks in advance

Derek

Edit: Core has no gui so it must be possible.. isn't it...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:16:32 pm by xinix00 »

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Installing LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:41:28 pm »
ok, hopefully I understand the question.  I think that you essentially want to install LMCE as it is intended.  There is no special 'core' version per say, it is a matter of designating the machine as being initially either a core or a hybrid.  As I use a hybrid core, I am not the authority on pure core set up but I would think that hooking a monitor up during the install would be helpful.

What you describe as 'Media Extenders' is what LMCE calls a Media Director.  They are designed to boot from the network (hardware dependent)

with the disclaimer that you must have compatible hardware, it sounds like what you want is possible...perhaps even probable

Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:55:01 pm »
Install LinuxMCE on your main server.. This becomes your "Core"

Then net-boot your other machines as media directors.

LinuxMCE already has everything you need to replace the functions already running on your Debian server.

-Thom

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:55:19 pm »
 ;D

This is quite possible, and has been done and documented here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Clean_Core

This should help you in creating a headless, pure server type core.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

xinix00

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:01:06 pm »
It took me ours to make my debian setup perfect (A), I saw that you can strip kubuntu using runlevel 3 (core no gui). But I wanted it on my current Linux installation in stead of stripping the whole kubuntu down to a clean and nice running system. But from what I understand from the answers given, there is no possible way of getting the core on my Debian server?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:03:51 pm »
no, there's not.. but don't despair...

Trust us when we say, that our server installation IS perfect. Many man hours have been expended to create a drop in solution that handles:

* File Serving
* Telecom (Asterisk)
* Media Distribution
* Home Automation
* Firewall and Internet Gateway, with QoS

all controllable via a web GUI.

-Thom