Author Topic: LinuxMCE Compare to Control4  (Read 16477 times)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: LinuxMCE Compare to Control4
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 11:55:43 pm »
2. Install switch from ACT-Solution (Seem like they are the only one make 230V AC switch and dimmer) $4,000

you may want to look at Merten Connect (www.merten.de). They are not cheap but you get very high quality zwave switches and dimmers for your money.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 04:07:05 am »
Hi Hari, Does Merten make the controller (USB or Serial) for LinuxMCE? I didn't see any information about the Z-wave product on their website.

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 02:20:34 pm »
Thanks for the info, What kind of Wall Mount TouchPanel option do I have? It seem like I have a hard time to fine one, At least 10.4 inch or bigger, I will need at least 2 of them.

How much it cost a switch or dimmer from Merten? Any idea about the range? I couldn't find in my region, most of their office is closed here in Singapore, Can some one give me some idea about the price?

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 04:26:50 pm »
The problem for me is the website doesn't provide in English.

What brand of PXE-bootable touch panel? Try to google around, but couldn't get anything.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 12:06:45 pm »
Hello kengtay,

go to ebay. You can get Fujitsu Siemens Stylistics for around 200-400€. Some of them can be used with finger, some need a special pen. I have an older one, which works just beautifully as an orbiter. It does not have enough power to work as a Media Director (well it does, but Audio only), but is great to control other media directors. Screen size >= 10.4"

rgds
Oliver

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 12:08:18 pm »
Another note on merten. The english pages can be found here http://www.merten.de/html/en/10942.html

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 04:34:12 pm »
Any specific model number for these LCD Touchpanel? I am looking for something that can put inside the wall (Flush Mouth) Be better can do Video, so I can hook up my security camera live.

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 01:46:54 am »
Which alarm panel work with LinuxMCE? Can I use all the contact sensor and motion sensor from the alarm to light Automation?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 03:02:17 am »
There are a few alarm panels that can work with LinuxMCE. The one that comes off the top of my head is the Apex 6100. Any alarm panel with RS232 or Ethernet, and a published protocol specification can be made to work with LinuxMCE by fashioning either a GSD (Ruby) driver or a C++ driver.

with that said,

you don't really need it.

huh?

LinuxMCE has security logic all its own, so if you have contact sensors, binary infrared sensors (i.e. for motion), etc.. you can attach these to an interface such as a GC-100, and have LinuxMCE deal with them.

You can also use the Z-Wave passive infra-red motion sensor attached to a Z-Wave network as a motion sensor event.

or you can have 1-wire sensors attached to a 1-wire interface such as the DS9490R.

or even x-10 sensors attached to an x-10 network...

and you can mix and match.

Regardless of which method you choose, LinuxMCE can send any command you wish in response to a sensor closure, and you can query the state of any sensor on the Security floorplan. Sensors can also be attached to IP cameras.

(you really should be doing more homework by now, you've been on this forum for over a month?) ;-)

-Thom

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 03:23:22 am »
Thanks for your info, Yes I have been here for a month and so, so far I have 2 computer setup with LinuxMCE, TV Tuner PVR-150 MCE package with remote, I still have some hard time to get the remote do the IR blaster that can control my Air conditional ( Still don't know how). Even my onboard Network card still not working (But the USB Ethernet work well)

Have ordered ACT Z-wave devices, Couldn't get other type for UK 240V AC. Those part should be here today.

I am trying to get some alarm panel such as GE Concord or Honewell or may be ELK.

Honestly, the more I work on it, the more I got confuse, Especially the Air Conditional with remote, I couldn't get it to work, I don't even know how I should start.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 03:32:44 am »
It can be done, off the top of my head, it would be something like this

create a new device template, with your manufacturer and name of your A/C unit.

tell it that it is an infra-red device, and that it belongs to category Climate Device, this will give it the thermostat commands group.

Once this is done, it will ask some questions about A/V devices, which will not be relevant, just ignore them and go through....

Then create a new IR command group.

But you should see the commands to be implemented (set fan, increase temperature, decrease temperature, on, off, etc..) and for each, you can make sure that your USB UIRT or GC100 is selected as the IR device, and learn each IR code, just like an A/V device.)

This is very new territory, because there isn't a device like this in the database already, but looking at the code, I see that it should be able to be done.

-Thom

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:30 am »
Will SMK IR Trans/Receiver work? This is the one come with PVR-150-MCE.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 04:39:59 am »
NO.

Use the USB UIRT, or the GC-100, these are the two main IR transcievers on the market with IR learning capabilities.

-Thom

kengtay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 04:49:52 am »
Question:

1. If I use USB-UIRT or GC-100 to learn, Can I use the SMK IR Trans/Receiver to transmit the code in the future? Because I am going to buy few PVR-150-MCE for each one of my computer, Just don't want to waste the remote. Since this is very good deal.

2. Can I find any step by step guide? I have been PC now MAC user for so many years, these Linux process is a little bit difficult for me.