Author Topic: Orbiter on a TuxScreen  (Read 6367 times)

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Orbiter on a TuxScreen
« on: December 05, 2005, 06:17:47 am »
I've just dusted off a couple of TuxScreens that I have had laying around for the past year or so ( newbielink:http://www.tuxscreen.net [nonactive]).

Using the info on that site, I've got a linux install going, along with a suitable tool chain, etc.

The hardware is fairly average (200MHz arm processor, 640x480 passive screen), however I'm still keen to have a shot at getting the orbiter to run on them.

Does anyone have any pointers before I start? I presume that this shouldn't be too hard to setup as it would effectively be the onscreen orbiter shown on the MDs, but w/o the MD :)

Is there a simple makefile or similar that will allow me to simply build the orbiter? Where can this be obtained from?

Given that I'm trying to boot the entire system of a CF card, I'd like to keep it to the required components only.

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Orbiter on a TuxScreen
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 09:23:40 am »
Hi,

     You should first take a look at Pluto Orbiter package and check its dependencies (pluto-admin website -> advanced -> software -> packages -> Pluto Orbiter). You'll see that you'll have to install some debian packages and also some pluto package (some shared objects like SerializeClass, PlutoUtils, DCE, etc.) Then you can try to build Orbiter (it has a Makefile in /src/Orbiter folder).

    Or, if can you a browser and run Orbiter in a browser. See newbielink:http://plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=92 [nonactive].

Best regards,
Chris M.

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Orbiter on a TuxScreen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 12:44:12 pm »
Thanks for the pointers. I suppose that I'd have to compile all the dependencies for the ARM processor too, or do you have ARM versions of them already (as opposed to x86)?

Also, I can't seem to find the software link you mentioned, under the admin website -> advanced, I can only see 'add software' and 'software versions', neither of which seem to let me view the dependencies of the orbiter.

In anycase, it sounds like this might all take up a bit of space... perhaps I'll need to sort out some sort of network boot / nfs mount.

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Orbiter on a TuxScreen
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 01:03:15 pm »
Quote from: "chris.m"
Hi,

     You should first take a look at Pluto Orbiter package and check its dependencies (pluto-admin website -> advanced -> software -> packages -> Pluto Orbiter). You'll see that you'll have to install some debian packages and also some pluto package (some shared objects like SerializeClass, PlutoUtils, DCE, etc.) Then you can try to build Orbiter (it has a Makefile in /src/Orbiter folder).

Hi,

I'm still thinking on possibilities to compile Orbiter on QNX Neutrino (Audrey touchscreen device). SDL library exists for QNX - does this solve all possible problems ? Is there any other critical dependency that would potentially cause problems ?

 
Quote from: "chris.m"
  Or, if can you a browser and run Orbiter in a browser. See newbielink:http://plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=92 [nonactive].

Best regards,
Chris M.

Yes, that is surelly nice feature - I like it very much - although I hope some day it will change in live applet or something similar...

I've tried it on my Audrey device (QNX with web browser and obviously some more limited Javascript capability) :

newbielink:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000051JUL/104-8563737-8907944?v=glance&n=172282 [nonactive]

but clicking on any button doesn't do anything - obviously connected with Javascript limitations... Do you intend to work on some more simplified web interface for more limited devices ?

I'd also like the feature to be able to specify screen resolution (Audrey is 640x480).

Thanks for great work,

regards,

Rob.

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Orbiter on a TuxScreen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 01:22:50 pm »
Hi,

Quote
I'd also like the feature to be able to specify screen resolution (Audrey is 640x480).

You can use any resolution you want. Generic Web Device controls actually an Orbiter (called Generic Proxy Orbiter), which has almost the same options like any other orbiter. You should see it on Orbiters page too, so you can change the resolution, skin, ui, etc.

Quote
... but clicking on any button doesn't do anything - obviously connected with Javascript limitations... Do you intend to work on some more simplified web interface for more limited devices ?

Right, the issue seems to be javascript related. Here's a simple java script page. Let's see if this one works:

Code: newbielink:javascript:void(0); [nonactive]
<html>
<body>
<div width="100%" height="100%" onClick="alert('on Click event')">Click me</div>
</body>
</html>


Please let me know if it works so we can try something more complicated like capturing pointer coordonates and so on.

Best regards,
Chris M.

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Orbiter on a TuxScreen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 01:58:42 pm »
Quote from: "chris.m"
...Right, the issue seems to be javascript related. Here's a simple java script page. Let's see if this one works:

Code: newbielink:javascript:void(0); [nonactive]
<html>
<body>
<div width="100%" height="100%" onClick="alert('on Click event')">Click me</div>
</body>
</html>


Please let me know if it works so we can try something more complicated like capturing pointer coordonates and so on.

Best regards,
Chris M.


It doesn't work, but will look at it - I think Audrey is Javascript capable - will just look at it...

Thanks,

regards,

Rob.