Author Topic: IMDB import like in MediaPortal  (Read 4290 times)

haldor641

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
IMDB import like in MediaPortal
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:04:16 am »
One really important feature missing is IMDB integration like in MediaPortal.
When you borrow a USB HDD full of movies, often you cant decide what to watch first, or you even never heard of the movie.
Also having a nice iTunes-like interface to shuffle through cover art would be nice.

Home automation and Orbiter is cool, but users like me don't really need it.

IMDB and cover preview is for me KO criteria, for now I'm uninstalling LinuxMCE and going back to MediaPortal.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: IMDB import like in MediaPortal
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:25:18 am »
Okay, you didn't look hard enough.

It's there.

look in the web admin...

but, oh wait, you already went back.

-Thom

haldor641

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:36:16 pm »
Well, there is no choice other than wipe it, since LinuxMCE doesn't let you partition and set up dual/triple boot.

If it would let the user partition like he wants (for dual or triple boot, OSx86 and Vista in addition to LinuxMCE for example), I would leave it.
There is also other stuff, like games and video editing that don't work on Linux, and Wine and VMware is no option...
OK, there are some cool games like Sauerbraten, Frets on Fire, Stepmania for Linux (btw. which could be included in LinuxMCE by default), but most popular online games are Windows only.

Add to the feature list:
- let users do the partitioning
- or even better, create a DEB package, so users just apt-get it into an existing kubuntu installation

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:49:17 pm »
 ;)

I am going to have to step in here. If you use the CD version of the install, you have full control over what partitions to install on or create, and how big to size everything. It is a slower install than the DVD version, but, the DVD version is made for ease and simplicity. Please read the content available to you, before making hasty decisions, you may be able to do a lot more than you think.

I have a system at home running, gentoo, mandriva, suse, and LMCE. This system was installed using the CDROM method.

Just food for thought   ;)

Regards,

Seth

p.s Here is a good place to start, and it was right on top in the Forums, under Installation, how ironic  :o

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3856.0
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

haldor641

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:03:59 pm »
I admit I didn't read a single line of LinuxMCE documentation, just stumbled upon the video, which shows there are multimedia wizards for everything.
A disclaimer in the video "this is still beta, and you will probably be doing all the RTFM and forum digging like with everything else thats free and DIY" :)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:10:33 pm »
I admit I didn't read a single line of LinuxMCE documentation, just stumbled upon the video, which shows there are multimedia wizards for everything.
A disclaimer in the video "this is still beta, and you will probably be doing all the RTFM and forum digging like with everything else thats free and DIY" :)

We'll be sure to add the following disclaimer next time: "Not suited for clueless morons".
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous