Author Topic: KDE fonts/resolution problem  (Read 1085 times)

mmnogueira

  • Regular Poster
  • **
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
KDE fonts/resolution problem
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:11:01 pm »
Hello All,

LCME 7.10 beta 4 - NVIDIA 8500GT 512MB - latest NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA - LG L1740PQ - 1024x768

I'm running a core/hybrid in UI2 with alpha blending perfectly. The problem is when I activate the KDE: the fonts and icons are very ugly and distorted; the admin website is almost unreadable (unfortunately I can't attach a screen snapshot to this message). I've already tried most the recommendations and suggestions from the manuals, forums and wikis with no success at all.

Thanks in advance,

Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil

seth

  • Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 485
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: KDE fonts/resolution problem
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:09:46 pm »
 ;D

I was experiencing this issue not only in KDE, but while using MythTV as well. Here is what I did to resolve it:

As user root from a terminal edit the /usr/pluto/bin/Start_X_Wrapper.sh script using vi or nano
 
 
Code: [Select]
sudo -i
Code: [Select]
nano /usr/pluto/bin/Start_X_Wrapper.sh


Look for the line :

Code: [Select]
xinit /usr/pluto/bin/XWM_Wrapper.sh "${Parms_Client[@]}" -- "${Parms_Server[@]}"
And add either -dpi 96  or -dpi 100 to the end of it like so

Code: [Select]
xinit /usr/pluto/bin/XWM_Wrapper.sh "${Parms_Client[@]}" -- "${Parms_Server[@]}" -dpi 96
And reboot the machine. This should make things quite better for you.

Hope it helps.

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

mmnogueira

  • Regular Poster
  • **
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
Re: KDE fonts/resolution problem
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:04:20 pm »
Hello Seth,

Thanks a lot - your tips partially solved my problem. Now, no matter the dpi I set (75/100), the fonts in KDE are very sharp but I can't change its resolution: it's fixed at 640x480. If I select "change video resolution" at the orbiter menu and select 1024x768 in the AVWizard, the font problem returns. Please note that this is my first contact with Linux, so my questions are necessarily very dumb <g>.

Thanks again for your help,

Marcos

seth

  • Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 485
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: KDE fonts/resolution problem
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:59:44 pm »
 :D

OK. Chances are changing the options via the AV Manager also changed the file to a default set like it was before. You may need to add the -dpi switch again, after running the AV Wizard.

LMCE likes to overwrite changes, when it does the changes after the fact. Check the file again, and see if it did not channge back to its original form.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

mmnogueira

  • Regular Poster
  • **
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
Re: KDE fonts/resolution problem
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:45:48 pm »
Hello Seth,

No it didn't - the -dpi 100 is still there. After reading many posts regarding this subject I inspected my xorg.conf and noticed something that seems strange: its Section Files is empty, like this:
Section "Files"
EndSection
In other xorg.conf examples there are many paths to fonts between these statements.

Suspicious about it, and in order to learn something, I've installed only Kubuntu 7.10 in another machine. Wow! Its fonts, graphics and icons are crystal clear, much more than in my XP. I've managed to set its resolution to 1440x900 in a 22" monitor and am stunned with its visual effects and quality. Now I have to understand what LMCE is doing behind the scenes that is causing my problem.

Thanks a lot for your interest,

Marcos

mmnogueira

  • Regular Poster
  • **
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
Re: KDE fonts/resolution problem (SOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 04:20:57 pm »
Hello Seth,

I've finally solved this problem by setting the option "UseEDID" to "true" in both "Device" and "Screen" sections of the xorg.conf file. Thanks for your hekp anyway.

Regards,

Marcos