Author Topic: Can I set up my network like this?  (Read 3479 times)

solexious

• View Profile
Can I set up my network like this?
« on: April 14, 2008, 04:26:22 am »
I want to keep as close to this network setup as I can. Currently im set up like this:

ADSL MODEM => wifi router handeling dhcp port forwading etc => gigabit switch

*other than guest laptops the rest of this is all wired into the switch*

User laptops, desktops. Media server handling torrents, downloads, podcasts etc. Storage server with backups of laptops/desktops *anything needing raid 5*

At the moment I have the network setup as I like it. I would want my lmce boxes to be able to access the media on all my current network boxes... how should I go about this, what pieces of my equip should be swapped out?

I also use 192.168.0.XXX for internal ip's, can i keep this?

Thank you in advance

Solexious

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can I set up my network like this?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:37:23 am »
Solexious,

The lmce core IS a router and it is happiest with its default network config - and net config & status options are limited from the web admin interface.

You want the core internal network to connect to the switch and have the core provide dhcp.

MODEM => lmce core => switch > wifi router (perhaps configured to pass dhcp from the core)

all of your devices will how get dhcp form core and while I have had some success customizing the core's IP & other network settings, I have fewer gremlins when I let it remain in its default configs of ..80.xxx on the internal net.  and have it get its external net config via dhcp from your modem.

joseph

ps [ How do you use your wifi router?  Is it giving out dhcp on wifi in the same ..0.xxx subnet?  If you use wifi for internet (not local) connections, then another option may be to place the core between your wifi router and the switch. And of course there are many other options...]

solexious

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 07:45:09 am »
Hia,

Thank you for the info. Just to check the default is 192.168.80.XXX ? The wifi is for both internet and local, not sure how wifi auth works when the wifi router is not the dhcp server... but if I put it between the core and the switch im going to make a 100m bottle neck rather than keeping the core connected at gigabite speeds to the MD's...

Any thoughts?

Solexious

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:44:37 pm »
Connect all to the switch - do not connect all to the wifi router.

MODEM => lmce core (192.168.80.1) => switch > wifi > wireless devices
                                                     switch > MD(s)
                                                     switch > laptop(s)
                                                     switch > desktop(s)
                                                     switch > server(s)

You may be able to configure your wifi so that it only provides wifi and does not route and does not offer dhcp - this can be done if you can use FOSS firmware such as OpenWRT.  Or you should be able to turn off the wifi's dhcp server - and just use it as a switch.  So connect the cable from the wired switch to one of the switch ports on the wifi router and DO NOT use the router (WAN, MODEM, etc) port on your wifi router.

joseph

solexious

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 02:31:49 pm »
 I've got a linksys sitting around at home will stick openwrt on it. How come not the wan port? Thank you, solexous

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:08:16 pm »
I have a similar situation but setup a little differently than suggested.

Here is my setup:

Cable Modem > WiFi Router (DHCP enabled with 192.168.0.xxx subnet) > Switch1
     LMCE Core Ext Eth0 > Switch1 (getting dynamic address from Router)
     LMCE Core Int Eth1 > Switch2 (DHCP server enabled on this NIC for the MD's)
     MD's > Switch2
     Home computers > Switch1

I disable the firewall on my LMCE Core to allow my home computers to connect to shares on the core.  (I'm not too worried about the security issue as it is behind my Router/Firewall)

Home computers and Eth0 on the Core are getting addresses from the router on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet.  MD's are getting their addresses from the Core from Eth1 on the 192.168.80.xxx subnet.

Works well for me.

Hope this helped.