Author Topic: Display problem with nVidia 8600GT card on 1080p TV  (Read 22542 times)

super

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Display problem with nVidia 8600GT card on 1080p TV
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 05:48:20 am »
I must have spoken too soon...last night the 1080p was working. Today morning when I fire up the LMCE machine, I get 'Invalid Video Signal' on my Sharp Aquos. I thought I had everything figured out. Also, now I don't get the onscreen menus on my TV (like adjusting brightness, contrast, volume etc.) Need to do some digging around to figure this out...just when I thought everything was going ok...oh well, back to the grind.

Any suggestions are welcome. Will update this thread with my results.

RichardP,
will update the hardware Wiki when I get this running in a stable manner

super

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:09 pm »
Probably because lmce rewrote your xorg.conf and replaced the modelines.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 03:02:43 am »
I must have spoken too soon...last night the 1080p was working. Today morning when I fire up the LMCE

Any suggestions are welcome. Will update this thread with my results.

Whoops - forgot to warn you. After you get your xorg.conf right, copy it over the Pluto version in the same directory. At certain times, the xorg.conf gets overwritten with the Pluto copy. I'm not sure when it happens - I know one of the times is when AVWizard starts, but there may be other times as well.

I generally keep a copy off the machine as well, together with several other files, so that anytime the machine is nuked or upgraded, I have copies.
Best Regards,
Richard

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 07:36:57 am »
The problems discussed didn't really relate to the video card, but rather the TV. That video card actually runs very well in Linux.

The only video card issue is that was discussed is a universal problem. Currently LMCE hardcodes which DVI port to use and has hardcoded modelines that don't work with all TVs. I have to put in a manually created modeline for my TV (the TV won't report the correct timings, either). For my other TV I must turn on EDID (actually on by default, but LMCE disables it) and remove the LMCE modeline.

FYI, if LMCE didn't hardcode which DVI port to use in Xorg.conf, Xorg and the nVidia drivers would select whichever port was currently active.