Author Topic: DHCP ISSUES  (Read 2993 times)

Jiffyman

• View Profile
DHCP ISSUES
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:03:06 am »
O.k. this is basically how it goes. I already have a DHCP server on my network and it cannot be shut down. For some reason when I install LinuxMCE I choose to turn the DHCP off and give it 192.168.80 as it's scope yet it still persist to hand them out screwing up the whole network. I want LinuxMCE to still find media sources and allow orbiters to work on other computers. Is there a way I can use my existing DHCP server to do this? Any help is appreciated.   

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: DHCP ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:14:29 pm »
in short, no.

-Thom

Jiffyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:03:58 am »
O.k can I add media sources manually, or have it hand out ip addresses only to certain MAC addresses and if so how?
Could I set up a some kinda scope like 192.168.2.111-116 and blacklist MACs on the Windows 2003 DHCP
I don't know how to configure DHCP on a linux box.
If someone can explain a bit on how to configure DHCP on LinuxMCE after a install, I might just be able pull some kinda trick out my a**.
One more thing, if someone can't help me here please point me in the right direction.

I'll also do a bit of googeling in the meantime.

Thanks,

Giffyman 

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:46:32 am »
Take a look at /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf

You might be able to merge this config to your current dhcp server.  That should handle PXE booting MDs.

I __THINK__ the rest of the network identification is done via polling.

You might want to read orionsune's reply in http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4645.0

HTH,
Roy

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:38:07 pm »
royw: why don't you look at the code before making statements like that?

-Thom

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:47:58 pm »
Also take a look at /usr/pluto/bin/Dhcpd-Plugin.sh.  This basically polls the dhcpd log file watching for device discovery to add to database.
A hack almost as nasty as this would be to mount your other dhcpd server's log directory then link it's log file to lmce's log directory so this script could still do it's thing...

Once the devices are in the database, then for smb,cifs,nfs shares,  /usr/pluto/bin/StorageDevice_StatusRadar.sh polls their online status.  The actual mounting is accomplished via automount (/etc/auto.PlutoStorageDevices).  I don't know if or how network orbiters are monitored.

thom: a list of specific issues that prevent using an external dhcp server would be a lot more helpful than a "in short, no".

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:12 pm »
royw, that was discussed to death. There are clear instructions in the forum even for hacks like the arpwatch patch. If sb insist in running another dhcp server he should be skilled enough to pull the config over with that information.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation