Author Topic: Yet another dumb networking question  (Read 3673 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Yet another dumb networking question
« on: April 09, 2008, 11:50:04 pm »
So, I know that LMCE will work as a gateway for my home network, at least that’s what I thought. I just installed my second Ethernet card and ran through the configuration process on the wiki to get it working. I have a test MD running. My network switch is really old and really slow so this may be part of the problem.

If I do a network boot my MD comes up and everything looks good... but when I boot from my test system's hard drive in to Windows XP I cannot seem to get it to detect my internet connection. What am I doing wrong?

-Dustin
Core: Broken :(

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another dumb networking question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:20:44 am »
Is the XP setup for dhcp or a static IP?  I have a laptop running XP and it picks up the dhcp config and routes through my lmce core just fine.  In fact, it's a wireless connection and I VPN into work as well as web browsing and all the other normal stuff.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 03:11:13 pm »
The XP system is setup for automatic network detection via DHCP. I did recently re-run my beta 4 DVD because I was having some lockup issues. I told it to save my previous settings. Would that have changed anything such as my network card settings?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 05:09:51 pm »
Don't know why re-running would change your network settings, as far as I know it shouldn't.  A few more questions:

Do you have any other DHCP servers on your network?

Have you made ANY changes to DHCP settings in lmce?  I know of at least one bug in b3 where changing your DHCP range (ie from 192.168.80.x to 192.168.0.x) will cause it to not function.

I wouldn't think either of these could be the issue since it works fine when you PXE boot.  Actually, now that I re-read your first post, after you PXE boot to a MD can you browse the internet from it?

After you boot XP open a cmd window and run ipconfig /all and post that here. 

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:48 pm »
Here is a rundown of my test network.

I have this network branched off of another network for internet connectivity so my core is connected with eth 0 connected to a router. eth 1 is connected to a low speed 10mps switch. *this is a really old switch that I use just for testing connection*

also connected to my switch is my test MD. This does eventually load with enough time.... but because of the slow connection takes forever and works very slowly.

Anyway... I can PXE boot... I was thinking that it might be possible that because my connection is so slow it might have something to do with why my XP cannot connect to the internet. I can check this by swapping out my switch with something current, I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Let me update some hardware first and see if anything changes.. if not I will post the data from ipconfig.

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:09:00 am »
i've known for WINXP to have some problems with network cards set to autonegotiate speed and duplex with some switches. Manually set it to the speed and duplex and its fine..  go figure.

Sometimes its just a bad cable and XP is more sensitive to errors