Author Topic: [FIXED]7.10 DVD Installation Failed: AMD Athlon X2 + AMD 780G mobo w SATA drives  (Read 14256 times)

megacrypto

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
right now im at selecting which drive to setup on and i only have one drive.. its being formated and its shown as /dev/sda .. so i guess its connected alright

edit 1:
im actually trying the i386 DVD instead of the AMD one to see if this works better ... but by now i beleive that my problem lies within the graphics adaptor and nothing else

edit 2:
setup finished and now when it rebooted i got grub 18 error, so i switched the sttings of hard drive to sata, now i can get past grub. I get the kubuntu splash screen and it hangs there.

edit 3:
after a while i get the BusyBox promot with initramfs
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:24:54 pm by megacrypto »

megacrypto

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
wooooow ... it turned to be as simple as i really dont know what:

Well no need to change anything in BIOS, it will work fine with hard drives set as IDE. Also no need to add an IDE DVD, the SATA one works fine. The entire problem was in the wiring of the SATA cables, I had them in wrong order. The mobo has 5 SATA ports, and i thought i had them in the right order, but going back to the mobo's manual, i found out i wasn't. So:
- DVD goes into SATAII port 0 (to enable booting from it, if put in port 1 the system will not see it if hard drive has already a system installed on it)
- Hard drive goes into SATAII port 1
- Press F6 in installation screen and add the following:
  • "acpi=off" at the beginning
  • replace "splash" at the end of the line with "nosplash"

and that's it :) nothing more ...:) :) :)

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
huh....someone should have suggested you check the order of the cables.  :P
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

megacrypto

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
well :) learning does not come easy, and the more one looks for answers, i guess you end up collecting alot of useful info along the way

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
i am sure you wont make that same mistake again also  ;)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

gunsmoke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA78G-S2h
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4400+
HD: Hitachi 500GB SATA
DVD Rom: Lite-On SATA
RAM: 2GB

Hi megacrypto, how did the installation come along? Would you report the functionlity of that mobo. I am looking at the Gigabyte GA-MA78G-S2h, and I am hoping that it would support UI3 or at least UI2. And also, does it have PXE booting/nettwork boot capability ::)

Regards
HTPC HARDWARE: Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H, Onboard video 9400, mATX, Socket LGA775. Intel Core2 Duo E8400. Samsung SpinPoint SATA2 HD 1000GB. Corsair 2x2GB DDR2. NEC DVD+/-RW ND4551A. Seasonic S12-330; +3.3v/20A. BIOS: v3.7

megacrypto

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
To be fair ...  runs great under win xp, and this is my first run on linux based system, having said that, as far as the graphic interface i could only get it to work UI1, UI2 and 3 won't kick. As for PXE booting, i really have no clue what that is :)

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
The AMD/ATI graphics support won't do UI2 overlay or blended. Its a driver problem with the ATI drivers. Only Nvidia has support for the functionality to get that working.

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
The AMD/ATI graphics support won't do UI2 overlay or blended. Its a driver problem with the ATI drivers. Only Nvidia has support for the functionality to get that working.

I've used UI2 overlay with an older ATI card (X1900 series)that had driver support from ATI. Unfortunately the chip on this motherboard does not have ATI support in Linux yet. 

How is audo support with this Mobo are you able to use the opticle output?

gunsmoke

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Thanks for your update on the mobo megacrypto :)

By the way PXE is network booting capability, used in MD for disk less installing throug a dedicated Core installation (eg uses no disk in MD, but is booting from a image on the core)

On a Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro 128MB, that was installed on MD that I tried out, did work in UI2 simple mode on a standard 710b4 install. So hopfully the 780 card will be supported soon in linux cause it would be great for HTPC use due to low heat emission/power use.
HTPC HARDWARE: Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H, Onboard video 9400, mATX, Socket LGA775. Intel Core2 Duo E8400. Samsung SpinPoint SATA2 HD 1000GB. Corsair 2x2GB DDR2. NEC DVD+/-RW ND4551A. Seasonic S12-330; +3.3v/20A. BIOS: v3.7

megacrypto

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
itspac: I have not really got to testing the sound, see im stuck with activating the remote that came with my case, and until now i had no luck with it, but will let you know as soon as i can figure out the remote.

gunsmoke: well i really don't think i will be able to test PXE, since that will require that i build another box, and honestly i can't put any of my other boxes down right now, not before i can get this one to run in full functions.

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
I'm interested to know about performance of ATI Radeon HD3200. Is it possible to playback HD video (720p or 1080p)? How is UI2 with overlay? Did you install the latest drivers for ATI cards as it suggested in the wiki - http://tinyurl.com/6b9p3k?

ATI RadeonTM 1250 works fine for me - UI2 with overlay and 1080p playback.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru