Author Topic: Lifeview TV Walker Twin - m920x  (Read 3181 times)

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Lifeview TV Walker Twin - m920x
« on: April 19, 2008, 03:41:41 pm »
I finally got this device working with an out of the box install of Beta4 (almost), but there's two issues which I thought i'd run by people that have a bit more know how ;)

1) I have to add the relevant module (m920x) to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and load the module manually after the system has booted to get it to work, otherwise the card will appear as "ERROR IN USE" or similar in MythTV Setup, obviously without the backend running so nothing is actually using it as far as I can tell.  Attempts to try and rmmod -f the module don't work either.  Is there something i'm missing about the module loading order or anything else that could be causing this?

2) The out of the box kernel that comes with Beta4 seems to have an older driver which does not support the "Dual tuners" feature of this device, i.e. i'm only getting /dev/dvb/adapter0 not adapter1 as well.  I attempted to fetch the source from the linuxtv git repositories using mercurial from http://linuxtv.org/hg/ which seems to have put a lot of unnecessary junk on the pc, but means that the device is actual detected and brings up to tuners, adapter0 and adapter1.  The only difference now is that when mythbackend runs it seems to segfault.  It looks like I only really have to change one line that's important in m920x.c (http://linuxtv.org/hg/~aapot/m920x/rev/1d2d53ea7cf4).  I'm only Gentoo experienced so Ubuntu backends still freak me out a bit but basically:
Is there a way that I can compile just that driver only, to see if it's the driver itself causing the problem or if it's the entire dvb tree?

I attempted to apt-get the kernel sources, modified m920x.c, and just ran make modules_install, but after a reboot I receive the "Unknown Symbol in module, or unknown parameter error" and dmesg reports that m920x disagrees with version of dvb_usb_device_init so I've probably botched the install. Am I going about it the wrong way?  Is there a way to reverse what i've done, or easily reload the old modules without wiping the system?